Hikari First Bites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hikari First Bites

I've been feeding some krib fry with Hikari first bites and it is working really well. The fry are growing like crazy. I got this idea to kind of "target feed" the kribs using a straw and a dropper.

I mix the Hikari food (kind of a powder) with tank water in a little container. I suck some of it up with the dropper and shoot it into the straw. I aim the straw into the water, right at where the fry are. They gobble it up like crazy and there is very little waste.
    Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Glad you are happy with your krib fry.

I used to breed kribs. Umm, more like they were unstoppable rabbits! I purchased a mated pair and in as little as 6 months in a community tank with plecos, angels and many tetras, still ended up with enough to populate the entire state of Oregon!! Devil's spawn I tell you. I even removed every adult and completely trashed my tank trying to get rid of the fry and they still survived.

I fed them nothing. They ate the diatoms and picked off the micro organisms found at the base of my plants.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Seriously, Dena!?!?!?! You couldn't have let me feel like I was a great fish dad?? So what I'm hearing from you is that I could drop some dryer lint in every third day and they would be just fine.

I was pretty shocked to see fry in the tank about 2 weeks after bringing mom and dad home. They did some creative rearranging and dug out the substrate under a low, flat piece of wood to make a perfect cave. I'm really having fun watching them shoo the little herd of babies around the tank.

Comment

Oops. Sorry Chris. You are a great fish dad.

I just see red when I think of my krib experience. Think I shipped over 2 dozen just to Jonathan. And that didn't make a dent.

It is cool watching the parents herd them around. But they killed all my cories and rams. Was not a good experience for me.

Hopefully you will have a much better experience!
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Yup, yanked the cories when I started to see krib-mouth shaped holes in their caudal fins. They have the tank to themselves now.

Comment

Dena, how big do the fry need to be before I can separate them and move them to another tank?

Comment

Lmbo... I died laughing... quick question which kribs did you breed the regular yellow eye or the blue eye krib?
              Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM.
              It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
              As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by cafN8d View Post
                I've been feeding some krib fry with Hikari first bites and it is working really well. The fry are growing like crazy. I got this idea to kind of "target feed" the kribs using a straw and a dropper.

I mix the Hikari food (kind of a powder) with tank water in a little container. I suck some of it up with the dropper and shoot it into the straw. I aim the straw into the water, right at where the fry are. They gobble it up like crazy and there is very little waste.
                That is such a fantastic idea! I have 4 little angelfish fry in a 5 gallon tank and I am feeding them Golden Pearls, which is powdery like the First Bites. They are eating but the food is going all over the place. That is a excellent way to shoot it directly at them. I am going to try that tomorrow. Maybe I won't have quite as big a mess to clean up if I can aim it at one spot.
                __________________________________________________ __________
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by cafN8d View Post
                  Dena, how big do the fry need to be before I can separate them and move them to another tank?
                  Anytime after they reach the free swimming stage since they are in their own tank. As kribs are ferocious parents, they will be able to raise their young even in a community tank, which was my experience.
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                    That is such a fantastic idea! I have 4 little angelfish fry in a 5 gallon tank and I am feeding them Golden Pearls, which is powdery like the First Bites. They are eating but the food is going all over the place. That is a excellent way to shoot it directly at them. I am going to try that tomorrow. Maybe I won't have quite as big a mess to clean up if I can aim it at one spot.
                    They catch on really quickly and after a couple days, they come right to the straw. I also kill the filter while I'm feeding. You get so much more control over how much of what you put in gets eaten.

Thanks Dena!

@Anthony: yellow eyed ones. I'd hesitate to say I'm breeding them...more like I bought a pair cuz I had the space and 2 weeks later...kids.

Comment

Hey, I'm gonna need help here... my Kribs I think laid eggs in the rock cave... barricaded the front hole by filling the front with sand from inside their cave and been taking turns in and out inside their cave... Now even the female is acting aggressive to any fish that comes close to the cave except the tetras...

Edit: I WAS going to be getting the blue eyed ones from tree fork on fl BUT... can anyone leave him a message that I'm over here...?

~Anthony

Comment

I can send him a message what should I include?

Mine did everything you just described before the kids appeared. Then they tried to kill the cories in the tank.

Comment

Not really sure... I guess let him know we are here... he was a cool cat to talk too and is all about Kribensis!

~Anthony

Comment

I'll message him. Maybe I can get banned!

Comment

LoL

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X