Preserving fresh veggies longer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving fresh veggies longer?

Last week I bought a cucumber for my snails in my tanks and I use only 1/4 of it and it feeds them for about a week(skin and all) I was about to slice up more when I noticed it was molded... Is there a way to preserve the veggies longer in the fridge than wrapping them in plastic? Would freezing it after cutting be a bad idea... If not how long can it be frozen before I should toss it out? Thanks guys for the advice even of the answer should have come to me by now lol...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Lol I have the same thing with my zucchini I only buy it for the snails I do have a veggie drawer in the fridge which is meant to keep fruit and veg crisper for longer by air circulation but the drawer is full of chocolate no room for fruit or veg
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

We have one as well but it's full of veggies lol...
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

In the fall when I harvest all the squashes left on the vine for my fish I slice them fresh, bag them and put them in the freezer. I just fed some 8 months old cucumber, I wouldn't eat it but it doesn't smell or anything, just different texturally. This is what I use to get through the winter.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
          In the fall when I harvest all the squashes left on the vine for my fish I slice them fresh, bag them and put them in the freezer. I just fed some 8 months old cucumber, I wouldn't eat it but it doesn't smell or anything, just different texturally. This is what I use to get through the winter.
          Oh okay slice and freeze it shall be! I am starting seeds for the garden today as well (but that's for my other thread lol)
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Simple Solution.... Large Zip Lock Bag AND pieces of Lettuce
            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

And lettuce?
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I forgot to mention the slices get frozen together but you can just run water over to separate when feeding, you could also separate them with parchment paper or something too.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I tried cutting into cubes and freezing (for shrimp) but because the ice particles that formed pierced the cell walls, when it thawed, it was just mush. I did boil for a bit before so maybe that had an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                    And lettuce?
                    Lettuce is water... and will lose its water to the cucumber in which keeps your cucumber hydrated
                    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                      Lettuce is water... and will lose its water to the cucumber in which keeps your cucumber hydrated
                      Neat!
                      Thanks for the tip
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                      X