Lemon cucumbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon cucumbers

I offer my otos and bn plecos pretty much any vegetable I eat, including kale, spinach, romaine, zuchinni,cucumbers, carrots, yellow squash. I pretty much constantly have one veggie or another in the tank plus any algae that grows, so much so that I don't supplement with algae wafers and get good growth nonetheless. All my herbivorous fish eat all these vegetables, but without exception there is one that will instantly be covered with sucking mouths right when it hits the water, lemon cucumber. I'm not sure why they love it so much, after all it pretty much tastes like a cucumber to me, but they go nuts! if you haven't tried it, I would recommend adding it to your rotation and see how it goes. I'd love to know if everybody elses veggie lovers freak out for it like mine. Lucky for my fish I have this years crop from my garden in the freezer just for them!
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Re: Lemon cucumbers

Funny I grow both Lemon Cucumbers and Straight 8. The straight 8 were for my fish and the lemons were for me. My tank did get a steady supply of Zukes during the summer.

Are you growing any fall vegetables?

Comment

Next time put some lemon in! I don't know why but they love it. Personally I don't like all the spines on them and was just growing them for something different. I would say about 50% of what I give mine are zuke or yellow squash, those are great go to's.

I didn't purposefully grow any fall plants but I did leave some various squashes on the vine until a week or two ago til the plants petered out so I'm set. What, if anything do you grow in the fall? Though I'm pretty sure we're in different climate zones.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Snow Peas, Red/Golden Beets, Watermelon Raddish and some spinach. I'm still not sure what else I'll be planting this fall.

I'm leaving the other half of the vegetable garden covered until January/February.

Comment

I have plenty of yard that yall are MORE than welcome to come garden in!! I just want part of the harvest lol
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3
            I have plenty of yard that yall are MORE than welcome to come garden in!! I just want part of the harvest lol
            I'll be on the next plane over...lol.

My neighbor's mother who lives with 6 months out of the year helps me with my vegetable garden. I probably end of giving 80% of the harvest away. The good thing, I hardly buy vegetables from the store.

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion
              Snow Peas, Red/Golden Beets, Watermelon Raddish and some spinach. I'm still not sure what else I'll be planting this fall.

I'm leaving the other half of the vegetable garden covered until January/February.
              I might give the spinach a go, have you tried kale? I understand that deals with cold pretty well?
              You should start one! The cool part is whether you go large or small it always seems you're overflowing with veggies and giving them away, great way to earn brownie points with the neighbors too!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

well ill gladly take the help, I have a very brown thumb when it comes to growing things other than fish.
                -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B

I might give the spinach a go, have you tried kale? I understand that deals with cold pretty well?
                  You should start one! The cool part is whether you go large or small it always seems you're overflowing with veggies and giving them away, great way to earn brownie points with the neighbors too!
                  Yeah, I grew it last fall/winter. I make them into Kale Chips and part of my juice ingredient.

Comment

You use it like my wife, everything is kale eggs, kale smoothie, kale chips. I eat it because its a super veggie but not my favorite by any stretch. I did feel triumphant when I finally got my fish to eat it, it was akin to when my daughter started enjoying broccolli.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I personally can't stand the bitterness of Kale, but like you said, it is a super veggie.

I never thought about feeding Kale to my fish. Do you feed it fresh or dried?

Comment

kale really only is fully cooked (of course when cooked wiht ham hocks) after MANY hours.
                        -Jim-

Comment

kale really only is fully cooked (of course when cooked wiht ham hocks) after MANY hours.
                          I use Collard greens with ham hocks or smoked turkey legs. I also grow it.

Comment

-Jim-

Comment

I personally can't stand the bitterness of Kale, but like you said, it is a super veggie.

I never thought about feeding Kale to my fish. Do you feed it fresh or dried?
                              I feed it fresh, it took the longest by far to get my fish eating it but now they're used to it, kinda like me.

Even my barbs will eat it just like romaine, ripping little pieces out of it.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X