This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: How To Feed Frozen?

I stopped in at petsmart and went, you know..my fish need a treat every once in awhile. So I bought these cubes of frozen bloodworms from their freezer. So am I supposed to thaw them in tank water or do I just drop the cube in and let them go at it as it thaws?
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

I do both... But thawing in tank water first is normally prefered
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

It usually is thaw in some tank water and then feed, however I do have one particular bloodworm that says to drop in frozen and let it float around.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Thanks folks, I'll thaw out the cubes before I feed. Now do you just dump the entire mix once it's thawed into the tank, or pick up the worms and put them in the tank?
        ~Erin
        10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Depends on what your feeding... if its just a school of fish dump it if its for one fish try target feeding...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
          1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
          40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I thaw mine out in tank water, then pour the whole mess into the tanks a little at a time.
            __________________________________________________ __________
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I also thaw mine in tank water. I have a little crystal cup/glass thingy which I use to thaw out frozen cubes.
              -Jonathan

Comment

I generally let it thaw on the counter just enough that I can easily portion the cube out for my needs with a butter knife. Then I drop the frozen food into a small dish with some garlic juice and stir it around until its all nice and garlicky. Then I enjoy me some garlic shrimp... er the fish enjoy some garlic brine shrimp!

Comment

For my home made gel food, when feeding the ponds and the 50 gallon (Goldfish. So. Many. Goldfish @.@) I usually just toss the frozen chunk into the water. Its keeps the larger fish from getting too much, and lets the little guys get enough to eat.

When I feed frozen bloodworms or BS, I usually thaw in a bit of tank water then suck it up into a turkey baster and let the fish swarm it for food rights LOL This also lets me feed the fish who aren't as bold. I can squirt a bunch out, and then go over to whoever needs to eat while the masses are distracted. I do, however, sometimes just let the fish chase around the frozen cube. Its fun to watch

Comment

Thanks guys, they absolutely loved the blood worms. So hilarious to see a danio and a cherry barb with a worm sticking out of their mouths.
                    ~Erin
                    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I just thaw mine in a little cup rather than in tankwater. I squirt some Garlic Guard on top so it soaks in while it's thawing. Then I use a syringe to shoot in little aliquots at a time so that it doesn't all sink to the bottom before they can find it.

Comment

Aliquots? Care to enlighten me Zumi? Please don't tell me it means "squirts" lol

I just thaw in a cup of tank water and dump it in.
                        Last edited by Matt B; 03-13-2013, 06:31 AM.
                        __________________________________________________ _____
                        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

LOL "aliquots" means like....units? Amounts? Pieces? but it isn't restricted to "number" like "amounts" and "pieces" are, I think it can be used to describe any type of measurement...though maybe just volume, as that's the only way I've heard it used.

Comment

I got it then, so you dispense "aliquots" of new vocabulary and tongue sticking out smilies.
                            __________________________________________________ _____
                            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

You catch on quick

()

Comment

Working...
                              X