This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to try....

I'm really not a fan of Hikari brand foods, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to try the Oranda Gold Mini Pellets for the fancies, and the Hikari Staple Koi medium sized pellets for Feebas and Seeking. I'm almost out of NLS Large Fish pellets, and thats what I've been feeding the larger goldfish. The smaller ones have been getting the small NLS Goldfish pellets. Both pellets are working great for both the single-tailed and fancy goldfish, however, the Goldfish specific pellets are much too small for a majority of my goldfish.

As I said, I've never entirely been fond of Hikari brand (ingredients vs price and supposed "quality"), but they are freakishly recommended and the Goldfish forum I used to be on (they were quite rude there....), and it was nearly impossible to find someone who DIDN'T use the brand in some form (Hikari or Saki Hikari). They all have really huge fish, with great wens and body shape. So I figure, buy the smallest bag of each they have while they are on super sale, and see what happens.

So, if I get the stuff, I'll use this thread to log how the fish do, etc. I currently have a $115 bill on Pet Mountain, and mom still has to go through it, but its all stuff I need (minus one of the bags of Hikari, and a really awesomely priced pond filter), so I think I'll be good to buy it all, really. Anyways, while I wait on my approval, I'm curious to see what you guys think about the food, and what you feel are also reletively comparable (and maybe a bit better...) foods. A big factor are a couple food related swim bladder issues, as well as really wanting good wen growth on my orandas!

Last edited by RogueAgent94; 04-01-2013, 05:39 AM.

I really don't know as have never used goldfish food as I've not got any goldies but I have heard that omega one are a good brand too. Maybe compare the two ingredient list wise and see which one is better

I used to use Hikari betta pellets and micro pellets and they always went down well until I discovered NLS
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

My issue with Omega One is that it contains added Ethoxyquin (on top of what already exists naturally in the fishes they use). It's not a very friendly ingredient, IMO.

Comment

I don't have goldfish either, but I do use Hikari Algae Wafers and bottom feeder wafers with no problems. My fish always eat it right up.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I started feeding Hikari Staple floating mini pellets (the green ones) late in the season last year, the size is good imo, my smaller 4" commons can handle it and the larger ones go for it as well. I just started feeding again for the spring so its early to pass judgment yet but my fish's colors are as vibrant as ever, so far so good.

One thing I noticed is alot of Hikari foods have wheat as their first ingredient, I think that turns alot of people off, the staples first is fish though.
          __________________________________________________ _____
          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thanks Matt. The orders been placed and I should have it around this time next week.

I noticed that too, and it's part of the reason I don't like them.

Comment

My package will be here tomorrow. I'm kind of afraid how big the bag of Staple pellets will be LOL 17 oz seems like a lot! Also, whatever Rogue did to my first post, made the letters black over my black screen. Good job Rogue.

Comment

They come in a handy resealable bag It is alot but I keep mine outside subject to temp swings and stuff and haven't had issues prior. I think the longest I had a bag was like 6 months or so.

Haha! I was wondering what was up with the text in that post!?!?!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Daaaaang! I keep my food inside. It's gets too hot here. I accidently left my can of Large Fish Pellets on he table on the sun for two days, and couldn't find it for the life of me! Then I remembered that u had used them to feed the ponds, and went out and got them. Opened up, and they smelled NASTY! Like fish.... Yuck! Good thing there's not much left, cause im gunna throw them out lol

Comment

Haha! Well, I don't set it out in the sun! I have a little cabinet outside for the pond. I would probably toss them, I bet your humidity helped make them nasty too.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

They were sealed up and dry, even after of two days of rain LOL Just got too hot lol The cabinet Rex's 40 breeder is on is entirely storge space, it's great. 4ft x 3ft of GIANT CABINET! So, they'll live in there. Unfortunately, I won't be home all day today, and neither will mom, so I had her leave a note for FedEx to drop my boxes off at the neighbors (I bought so much they had to put it in TWO boxes XD)
                      Last edited by catsma_97504; 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM. Reason: Language

Comment

I guess I'll take a big whiff of mine later in the summer, we get triple digits here but its a dry heat I love storage!! I keep trying to get my wife to get a cabinet similar to yours in size because mines only like 1'x2'

Have fun opening your boxes, I love that part.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

It's a TV stand got it at goodwill for like 25 bucks. We stripped it and refinished it.

Comment

So here's the run down:

Medium Staple Pellets: big hit with Feebas and Seeking. Tried them with Bruce as well, but he's not quite big enough for them yet, and when they expand, they get almost the size of his mouth.

Oranda Gold Mini Pellets: Not so mini! Actually what I would consider a medium sized pellet for decent size community fish of 4-5 inches. Fed to the 150 gallon pond, and they are all gone now, after sitting in the water all day (they've never had floating food before). Gave them to the smaller fancies in the 50 gallon, and floating galore after they ate (though they seem to get over it pretty quickly). The pellets are also a bit too big for them, as the others were for Bruce.

Pros: Float below the surface- as long as any fancy goldfish with floating issues are slow eaters (a couple of mine are, but most are greedy eaters, so....), they should not gulp any air, and if they do, it's very little. Medium sized pellets a good size for larger fish.

Cons: The Oranda Gold pellets float. For fancy goldfish, sinking pellets are much better so that they don't get any air while they are eating. This is one of the causes of floating and bloating issues. They also expand-- A LOT! Not too happy about that. Over eating and pressure on the swim bladder and other organs causes floating in fancy goldfish as well. Mini pellets are also pretty big. Could be much smaller.

Overall, I'm pretty 50/50 right now. Though the Gold pellets caused the fancies to float, they got over it in a matter of minutes. The Medium pellets were well received by Feebas and Seeking. I think I will reserve the Medium pellets for only Feebas and Seeking, and the Gold people's will be fed to mainly the 150 gallon pond.

Comment

Ok, so I'm a few weeks into these.

The Medium Staple Pellets have been for Feebas and Seeking only, as they are the only ones big enough to eat them. They do really seem to love them. I try and go out around 8 every morning and toss in 15 or so pellets. Seeking is always the first to sneak attack them, like they light try and get away of he isn't fast enough. Then Feebas comes up, takes 5 or 6 in one go, and all but disappears until I go back inside or stop watching.

The 150 gallon pond and Bruce have been getting the Oranda Gold Pellets. The guys in the pond have great color and it's only time I ever get to see them (can't get the green water under control in that pond!) and it's when I do my head count. All the fish seem to like it, and their colors are really bright. Bruce doesn't have improved coloring, and doesn't seem to like them as much as he did his old New Life Spectrum Large Fish pellets.

I'm ordering a bag of Saki-Hikari for the 50 gallon and the 150 gallon pond. The other guys will get it, too, but the pellet size is supposed to be pretty small, so they'll just get it as a treat.

Comment

Working...
                              X