This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for your Betta and Gourami/ general insectivores

Thought i would make a brief post on providing proper nutrition to fish such as Bettas and Gourami who are both carnivores/insectivores.

Common misconception with feeding bettas is that they will eat the roots of plants, this is commonly claimed with bettas kept in flower vases. While they may nip at the roots, they are not eating them, they are picking at microscopic organisms, crumbs really, for food. Betta and Gourami both have similar dietary needs and can both get those needs from similar foods.

Being primarily insectivores/carnivores they get most of their food in the wild from small insects and invertebrates in the water. Both groups of fish are built to grab insects even a few inches above the water surface. Unfortunately, there really isn't any good way to supply the right flying insects to our beloved fish other then small wingless fruit flys you can buy at petstores. There are other options though to get them the protein they need.

The first and most logical choice is a quality brand PELLET food. While flakes are nice, Pellets work better with betta and gourami. Also to mention, most brand names make their high protein foods in pellet form. When looking for a good pellet food, or any fish food in general, it is important to know your brands AND your ingredient lists. Reading the list on the back of the food is important, even the biggest brand names can have crummy foods.

For fish like Betta and Gourami you will want to see fish/meat as the first 2-3 ingredients. Prefferably not fish meal either, which tends to be left over scraps of fish that don't add up to much nutrition. You don't want to see wheat,beans,corn,soy etch as the first few ingredients, not very nutritious.
    You may see things like
    Whole Haddock
    Whole Salmon
    Whole fish
    Brineshrimp
    Blood worms
    Daphina

And so on, these are all good sources of protein for the fish. Recommended brands of fish food(you would be looking at the Betta pellets for both Bettas AND gourami)
    New Life Spectrum (NLS)
    Omega One
    Attitsons
    Kens

avoided brands include
    TopFin
    HIkari(only for betta food, they have amazing other foods. They used to have amazing betta food too)
    Tetra

Additional to the Pellets, which should be staple in most cases, would be live/frozen foods.
    Things like Brine shrimp, Daphina, Vinegar eels, Texas black worms, Blood worms and so on are all good solid protein sources that will greatly enrich your fishes diet, and over all appearance/behavior. However, Blood worms are considered snack food for bettas, not to many for them and not often(maybe once or twice a week). They are like candy to bettas and gourami. Seriously, they will kill for them normally.

Freeze dried Foods- opinions differ on the subject of freeze dried foods. IMO, not worth the money when you can get frozen just as cheap. However, if you do feed freeze dried SOAK the food in water for at least 10 minutes to make sure it is fully re-hydrated and won't cause your fish problems, again, feed sparingly. If the fish eats too many or the food isn't fully rehydrated then they can get constipation,SBD or bloat.
    My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
    "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Re: Food for your Betta and Gourami/ general insectivores

Thanks for the great list. I would also like to add that Reparshy makes a great food source for whatever your needs. My fish have really appreciated it.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

No problem, i COMPLETELY forgot about gel foods.
      My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
      "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

No problem, they are semi new to the hobby, I just didnt want it to be forgotten in the mix. Personally I think they will well surpass other foods very soon in the market once people realize how much better and cheaper they are.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
        X