This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding when the lights are out?

I was just wondering... Does anyone feed their fish before the lights come on?

I set my lights to come on around 6 a.m. because I like to feed my fish in the morning before going to school. The only problem with this is that with turning the lights on so early, they are either off or soon to bee off by the time I get home from school so I cant enjoy looking at the tanks.

Will the fish find the food and eat if I would schedule the lights to come on later but still feed early in the morning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Feeding when the lights are out?

set the timer to turn the lights on for the morning feeding and then off again until later in the day so that they are on longer when you are there to enjoy the tanks.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I'm not sure of your stock but I'd be afraid of any fish with an advantage in the dark(like cories) would eat everything before more vision oriented fish had a chance.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3
        set the timer to turn the lights on for the morning feeding and then off again until later in the day so that they are on longer when you are there to enjoy the tanks.
        I thought about that, but wasn't sure if it was okay to do that. I guess that's what I'll do! Thanks!

Matt, I do have cories in one tank, but all the others have fish on the same feeding level.

Comment

Matt, I would think it would depend on the type of food, I know when I feed my angel tank flakes the cory's just wait for it to hit bottom to chow down.
          -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I have the same problem Dillon. I set my timers to turn on for an hour when I wake up and I feed them then. Then it turns off and turns back on when I get home and I feed them a couple hours later.
            -Jonathan

Comment

I feed my tanks before lights on. There is enough ambient light in the room that they are not in complete darkness. And do not have any issues finding any food I drop in.

If you decide to split the lighting period, with live plants each photoperiod should be 4 hours minimum. Otherwise, the plants will not be able to utilize the light efficiently.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
                I feed my tanks before lights on. There is enough ambient light in the room that they are not in complete darkness. And do not have any issues finding any food I drop in.

If you decide to split the lighting period, with live plants each photoperiod should be 4 hours minimum. Otherwise, the plants will not be able to utilize the light efficiently.
                What if I would turn on the lights for an hour early in the morning, then have them on for 8 hours later in the afternoon? The hour of light in the morning wouldn't really be needed for them as long as they get their 8 hours later, correct?

Comment

Yeah, that should work as well.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

Matt, I would think it would depend on the type of food, I know when I feed my angel tank flakes the cory's just wait for it to hit bottom to chow down.
                    Your angels won't eat flakes? Mine seem to want to eat everything.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

no I mean the cory's just wait for the flakes to hit bottom, the angels eat them just fine.

Actually my angels dont like the repashy that much, only them and the yellow fork tail rainbows havent taken to loving it. Right now there all bumming cause I used the last bit last night and didnt make more today lol. They have to survive on NLS haha
                      -Jim-

Comment

The lights are still off when I feed my fish in the mornings, the Angels are the ones who wake everyone up for breakfast.

Comment

I swear the only thing on an angels mind is food lol
                          -Jim-

Comment

I swear the only thing on an angels mind is food lol
                            So true! I can barely get a side view picture of them because they just line up and stare at me straight on whenever I come near the tank!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Hahahaha you're angels are sad Matt! Mine dance up and down the sides of the tank flaring their fins and showing off their colors. My PB jumps out of the water if I try to take pictures for too long.
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X