This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS hatchery advice

I'm going to practice breeding baby brine shrimp.....I was wondering if anyone had any pointers?

I tried to start a dahina culture a few months ago, but my eggs never hatched. I would like to avoid a repeat fail.

I'm planning to do a jelly jar with air line, suspended in my dwarf puffer tank (high light, 80*)...any otter suggestions?
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Well, let's see what I've learned along the way.............

Make sure the pH is high. Eggs hatch best with a pH around 8.0. My water is very soft and low pH, so I add baking soda to the mix.

Don't over salt. Fresh BBS eggs can be hatched using aquarium salt; but the older eggs tend to hatch better with a salt mix used in saltwater tanks. I have not found a difference between the salt mixes with fresh eggs.

Store the unhatched eggs in the fridge or freezer. I store the bulk in the freezer and about a cup worth in the fridge. This way the eggs stay viable much longer!

When adding eggs to the water, I do not immediately start the air. Eggs are dimpled from being dried and must plump up again. If not plumped they will stick to the sides of the hatching vessel and not hatch. I let them sit in the water for about 1 hour and then start the air line.

Make sure there is enough air moving through the hatching vessel that the water is constantly turning over. This needs to be a strong current to avoid dead zones or to allow the eggs to adhere to any surfaces. With that happens the mix starts to fungus and goes bad very quickly.

Only hatch as much as will be consumed in approximately 3 days. Any longer and the napuli begin to loose their high nutritional value.

Don't add too many eggs to the hatching vessel. One liter of water will hatch about 1/8 tsp eggs.

Fresh eggs should hatch in 80F water in about 24 hours.

Make sure the hatching vessel is sanitized before starting the next batch. If any fungus begins to grow the entire batch will be quickly lost.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

First try and success! Tiny moving things everywhere! Floating eggs shells made it easy to tell them apart. Thanks for the great instructions!

Do these count as dinner or a treat for my fish? Blue rasboras, diamond head tetras, glo skirt tetras.....everyone is hunting like crazy

Next step in practice: enriching brine shrimp
      Should I rinse all the hatchees and put them in a clean freshwater jar?
      Any enrichment supplements recommended?
      Should hatchees still be in an super bubble jar?
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Napuli, newly hatched BBS, are saltwater creatures. They can only survive a few hours in fresh water. Rinse them just before feeding to freshwater fish/inverts.

They will not be around long enough to need to feed the napuli. Plus the more time that passes after hatch the less nutritious they are.

Trying to feed them and keep them alive is extremely difficult. If you have too many to feed alive, rinse and freeze.
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Not trying to keep them alive, just add to their nutrituous value....the goal of this practice is feeding dwarf seahorses (eventually). A few people on seahorse.org have seen better color and movement, and longer lifespans with enriched brine shrimp. Here's the theory I understand so far.....hatch brine shrmp, enrich for 12-36 hrs, feed ponies 2-3 times daily. Id like to practice the parts I can

Are they nutritious enough for adult fish? Do they count as a meal or a treat?

Comment

Adult fish normally ignore them. My adult Endlers love them though. Anything bigger won't notice. How do you "enrich" the BBS? they don't eat for the first 24 hours of existence.
            Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

I'm working on that part.....waiting for account validation with seahorse.org to read forum posts, like the snipit of the one on enriched brine being better long term (why google gave me sample from a page I couldn't access.....?)
              From the bit in the sample I got this much: 2-3 day old enriched brine are the best food source for long life, and healthier dwarfs. I'm hoping for a step by step hatching enrichment process. During the wait I was hoing this technique was well know and I could find it thru other sources

The fish went crazy and hunted every last on, even tge glo skirts.....I'm gonna count it as dinner (2 small feedings a day....they're not gonna starve)
              Last edited by featherblue; 02-16-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Newly hatched brines hrimp are something like 55% protein. You can probably consider it a meal.
                Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Here's a link to an info source with an enrichment product
                  http://www.seahorsesource.com/cgi-bi....cgi?id=203101
                  what do u guys think? This is the supply company reccommended by multiple members on seahorse.org (3 days later....finally validated)

Comment

I recently orderd some BBS eggs for my fry, looks like there just hatching how do i rinse them off to feed them?
                    Matt

Comment

Not sure about enrichment. Are the napuli supposed to eat it or absorb it? Just like with any other hatched egg organism, they will not eat until the egg sack is consumed. So, you would not be feeding true napuli. This is when they are the most nutritious.

M0T0 - Are you feeding to freshwater fry? Then, yes you would rinse off the salt. I use a plastic coffee filter for this.
                      Last edited by catsma_97504; 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM.
                      - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
                        Not sure about enrichment. Are the napuli supposed to eat it or absorb it? Just like with any other hatched egg organism, they will not eat until the egg sack is consumed. So, you would not be feeding true napuli. This is when they are the most nutritious.

M0T0 - Are you feeding to freshwater fry? Then, yes you would rinse off the salt. I use a plastic coffee filter for this.

ok So would a paper coffee filter work for now until I get some thing better? And yes they are gonna be fed to my Jewel fry,pink con fry, and some guppy fry. I have been using hikari frozen bbs for my fry for now, but got my bbs hatchery going.
                        Matt

Comment

Paper could work. Be very careful. It will tear and the napuli will go down the drain.
                          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Well the paper worked for now but it was a pain, need to find an easier way to do this.
                            Matt

Comment

All you need are one of those plastic coffee filters.
                              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X