using chicken hearts and gizzards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using chicken hearts and gizzards

Don't ask why but mom brought home a package of chicken hearts and gizzards (1.3lbs) she didn't realize haha so now we have a package in the freezer... so i was wondering if it could be safe to make some kind of fresh fish food (like you could with beef heart) I was thinking:
    Peas
    Krill
    Brine shrimp
    But other than that i am at a loss for what would be good for them... I watched a video on youtube where this girl was feeding her butterfly fish and saltwater mollies potatoes and chicken... so heck idk... I was thinking i could use this to feed my freshwater fish and my saltwater fish....
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Re: using chicken hearts and gizzards

I have used chicken hearts before but IMO the chicken gizzards are much to tough to use for fishfood.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Yes, I've bought a package of chicken hearts and gizzards. Everybody loves the hearts. Don't feed the gizzards. Also, they go bad really fast so use them fast!
      Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

I like to eat the gizzards myself
        -Jonathan

Comment

okay so just use the recipie for beef hearts just with the chicken?

And off topic (sort of) how the heck do you cook the gizzards lol... no one in this house is brave enough to cook one to try it... I am haha
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Saute some onions and garlic and let it brown, then toss in the chicken gizzard. Add some soy sauce and water and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes to soften, add some black pepper. Serve on a bed of white rice.

Or did you mean how to cook it for the fish

Comment

haha, for people use I'll have to try that!

Anyways I have read that you toss the hearts/gizzards in the microwave for 30 sec to completely kill the breeding bacteria in the meat. Also is suppose to make cutting the tendons easier...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I also forgot to mention, you want to slice them in halves.

Comment

You can also fry them . Midwesterners seem to like fried things
                  -Jonathan

Comment

thats a horrible steryotype... I don't eat many fried things... I prefer baked over most things :-) and grilled!
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

LOL well I was in Southern Indiana for nearly a year and I almost died lol. Fried things are not something I eat often. Amish food is also quite scary lol.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
                        LOL well I was in Southern Indiana for nearly a year and I almost died lol. Fried things are not something I eat often. Amish food is also quite scary lol.
                        We have lots of Amish owned restaurants around here. More and more popping up every year. Some of them are pretty scary. Lol

Comment

Working...
                        X