No announcement yet.

Microworm cultures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, almost a month and a half later the original cultures worm population has declined quite a bit, I think this is about as long as a culture is good for in my case. They still don't smell but I tossed them anyway.

The 2 newer culture are growing some mold, I think it may have been because I added old culture oatmeal to the new ones. Next time I plan to rinse some worms and toss them in to see if that prevents mold. Interestingly enough, the original cultures never molded.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Not bad, still. I need to start up some more live food cultures, I haven't done it in quite a while. They are nice to have around for sure!

Comment

I was really pleased with the length they stayed good for, especially considering it only takes about 5 minutes to start a new one. They are great to have around! I have no fry right now but my betta absolutely loves these guys, he's got it down when I drip them in he just inhales the "cloud" of worms!

I went ahead and bought a bunch of betta cups since my wife was getting mad about the tupperware, I rinsed the worms this time and started a couple new ones about 3 days ago, I'll post them on them in the next week or so.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
          I went ahead and bought a bunch of betta cups since my wife was getting mad about the tupperware
          LOL I cant imagine why!!

Sounds like your cultures are coming along really well. Congrats! I'm considering starting my own tubifex worm and black worm cultures. I already have bloodworm and nightcrawler cultures.
          -Jonathan

Comment

If you get a chance you should do a quick care sheet/instruction thread, we can build a library of live food culturing/rearing instructions!!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Do you have one for micros ?
              -Jonathan

Comment

Yeah, Dena made it an article:
                http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...-foods-library
                Last edited by Matt B; 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Ewwwwwwwwwwww you have that in your HOUSE?!
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Looks like wriggly porridge
                      They seem to be doing well have you tried feeding any to Max?
                      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Haha! Yep they're in my house Jon! Safely sealed in betta cups though.

Yeah Sarah, he's gotten good at eating them too! They are so small he can't eat A worm persay but I drip them in by the 10's of thousands per drop I would guess and he inhales the "cloud" right when the drop hits I know he is getting a bunch because he will sit there chewing for like 5 seconds.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Lol thats excellent
                          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Re: Microworm cultures

Just to update, my system for renewing the cultures is really easy and has worked well so far. I mix new media (raw oats and water) add a drop or two of vita-chem in and mix. I then swab some worms from an old culture and dip them into a glass of water to rinse. After letting the worms settle to the bottom (10-15 seconds) I suck up a few drops of them and drip onto the new culture. Sprinkle on yeast and thats it.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That's great that you are able to sustain the colony.
                              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                              Socrates

Comment

Just to update its been almost a year and I think I have spent maybe an hour total maintaining these things. I ramp it up to several betta cups when I have babies to feed and let it fall back to one culture just to maintain a supply.

I have also found an easy way to squeeze a few more weeks out of a spent culture. When the worms have reduced the oats to a layer of liquid on top they start to decline, at this point I toss in a tablespoon or two of raw oats, it soaks up the fluid and rejuvenated the worm and yeast populations pretty reliably.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                                X