X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish don't like vita-chem?!

Hello all,

I added some vita-chem to my 55 gallon community tank on Sunday evening. I had meant to do a water change but unfortunately ran out of time (one is scheduled for tomorrow) but I got the vita-chem in the mail and wanted to put it in as soon as I could, so it could do its thing.

I used a mug (use it to dissolve dry ferts) to take some tank water and poured the capful of vita-chem into the mug so it would be a bit more dilute. I poured it in as slowly as I could, just a dribble, right into the spraybar.

The fish all immediately started flipping out and zipping around and schooling tightly. (Fish: praecox rainbows, neons, platies, rams) I thought it was due to the cloudiness so I didn't think much of it.

In short, Tuesday evening rolls around and they're still acting weird. Schooling tightly, and will huddle in one corner, then zipzipzip erratically across the tank and hide in another corner. I move as slowly as possible when near the tank, but they're still skittish. The good news is they did eat last night (I put it in after feeding on Sunday, haven't fed yet today).

I tested the ammonia and nitrate in case there was a mini-cycle (I lost a platy and can't find him, despite manually searching high and low). I always think the ammonia tube looks a smidgen green, but it was 0+ at the most; nitrates were at about 5ppm. I never test nitrites; I've cycled five or so tanks and haven't seen the slightest hint of purple when I tested. I also checked the temp, since I remembered Al's discus were acting skittish when the temp was low, but it was 78-79F, which is normal.

Any ideas? I'm not sure if I want to add it again on Wednesday or not. My BN pleco constantly has deteriorating fins, and I thought it would help, but the darn stuff is so expensive that if the fish are on edge when it's in the tank, I might as well save it for my bettas.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've never had this reaction from using it, I have added it during and between wc's as well. Is it the FW version for sure? This might seem really silly but my wife ordered me some for Christmas and accidentally got the SW version, I was going to use it anyway but called the manufacturer and they said not to. Long shot but that's all I can think of right now.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That's a good idea, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) it is the fresh water version.

I took a quick video, not the greatest but it shows them zipping around the tank and hiding in the corner. Currently uploading, I'll post it when it's done. Please ignore the GSA on the front

Comment

I get a similar but opposite reaction when I dose with Vita Chem. My fish (when most of them were alive) use to spazz out but they would swim into the cloud of VitaChem and swim around in it...For me, it looked like they love the stuff.

Sorry, couldn't be much help.

Comment

Lucky! I wish it had that effect with mine. I miss seeing them meander around the tank, now the just huddle and spastically zip around.

Comment

Have you tried half a dose?

Comment

No, Sunday was the first time I ever used it. I'll try a half dose next time.

Well, I must have accidentally uploaded the wrong video (I took a few) because they don't do the zipzipzip thing in this one Oh well, here's one to hold you over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0T3_...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Your tank is so beautiful Now I can't wait for my CO2 to start...

Comment

Aww thank you!! The crypt spiralis is really exploding, I'm not sure what I'll do when it gets much longer, since you can't trim blade-leafed plants. Also no matter how much phosphate I dose, I can't get rid of that darn green spot algae

I definitely did upload the wrong video, the correct one is currently uploading.

Comment

My Jungle Vals reach four feet and I usually just trim the tops.

Comment

That's crazy!! There's some Italian val in there, but it doesn't do so well for some reason. I really like the hygrophila, I bought it on a whim, not knowing what it was (was labeled as temple plants) and I think they look neat.

Actual video (zipzipzipping starts about halfway through, though not as vigorous in the zipping as they are sometimes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ZzI...ature=youtu.be

Comment

hmmm....maybe they can smell the Vita Chem and are looking for the food source?

Those rainbows looks nice.

Comment

It looks like they're running from the camera in the vid, I saw a little zippiness. I think I'm missing it.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Did you get the second video, Matt? Again, it's not a perfect example, once I started filming they wanted to just hide behind the hygrophila rather than swim around. But the way it looks is that one fish will zip forward a few inches, then the next will follow, then one will zip forward a few inches further, and this repeats rapidfire from one side of the tank to the next. It took them awhile to come out of hiding to want to eat yesterday.

I'm not too terribly worried yet, I know the vita-chem isn't actually hurting them (if that's what the problem is), so I'm guessing (hoping) that worst case scenario, I'll do a 50% water change and not add any tomorrow (thus dropping the dose to half).

Comment

Yeah, I watched the second one. I did see some of that, I've always thought of rainbows as kinda zippy, fast fish so it didn't catch my eye. They may just be reacting to a change in the water even if its not detrimental.

I think your plan sounds fine, I can't see how it could hurt them. Like AP said, maybe half dose next time, you can also try to soak their food and administer it that way but my fish wouldn't eat it.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X