This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottos

So I got five ottos for my 55 gallon when I went to the LFS looking for something to help with my algae problem. I went in there to get Nerite Snails and came out with Ottos based off recommendation of the one fish guy there that actually seems to know what he's talking about (plus they looked so cute and I know they don't get very big)

It was so cool to see them laying on my grass (I have A LOT OF TALL GRASSES... soon I'm going to need to be getting rid of some lol). Well within 24 hrs... one dead. DARN... but I know they are fragile fish so I thought I could excuse one death.

A week later all I could see is maybe 1 or 2 at a time, figured they are hard to see because they can be hiding in all my various leaves and they are SMALL so I didn't worry about it. Sadly a few days ago I found two more dead ones when I was moving things around. *le sigh*

So that leaves me with two... both of which I saw this morning so I KNOW they are alive. Since then I've been reading just how very fragile they are and I'm wondering if I should change what I'm doing with my tank. All the rest of the fish seem fine *fingers crossed*

Water Parameters... since I got my API master test kit about a month ago, all my tests have come back with 0 Amonia, 0 Nitrites and some reading of Nitrates... which I usually follow with about a 15% water change (to be on the safe side because I honestly have trouble reading them) weekly. Since I use prime with each water change, I don't test right after (maybe I should test two days after and will endeavor to do that tonight).

How do you read your nitrate reading? I thought it kept being between the 10-20 ppm but then I read someone who recommended looking DOWN into the tube to compare to the chart and if I do that, well the color is WAY darker and now I fear I'm higher on the Nitrate scale than I thought I was.

Stocking I think I'm on the full to just under side... being new to this I probably overfeed (trying to get a handle on this) as I have seen quite a few baby MTS lately. I think I have a pretty decent filter and LOTS of plants. My water doesn't smell bad or anything.

So my two questions are...

How can I be more successful with Ottos? Do I need more than two? (Petsmart is having a sale on them $1 per and I have a 20 gallon that is pretty much empty (1 Mystery Snail... this tank is in progress of becoming a riparium) I can house them in temporarily to watch them more closely as my 55 gallon is so full of plants it can be difficult to find everyone at one time.)

How should I be reading my darn water parameters? I know this seems like a basic basic question but I'm not quite honestly very confused with the whole side by side comparison vs. looking down into the tube thing.
    Last edited by catsma_97504; 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM. Reason: Language
    Gingerone's Tanks:
    55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
    20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
    Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Welcome to the forum if I didn't say it already!

Sorry to hear about your ottos. They can be very finicky. I think the best hing to do with them is make sure you acclimate them really slowly. If you get more, maybe try putting them in the 20g tank. Is the 20g cycled?

Something else that may help is to do a water change the day you get them before you put them in. Maybe a 30% water change, then go get them and acclimate them. After they are in the tank. Do 20% water changes every other day to keep the nitrates as low as possible.

As for reading the tests. That is always a huge pain for me as well. What I find helps the most is to hold the tube right against the white part of your test card, right beside the color chart, then hold it right under a light and read it. It lets you see the true color of the tube and let's you compare it very closely with the color chart.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I can only help with your otos... it is sadly very normal for you to lose otos for the first 2 weeks after bring them home... if they live past a week your home free! I had 6 at once and lost none but my petsmart was good about getting them to eat wafers before hand so that they had less deaths! Otos are ALL wild caught and kinda hard to breed in tanks, because of that most of them have parasites that will kill them pretty fast... also Otos need to eat at least once every 12 hours or else they will pass (they are like the hummingbirds of the aquatic world) mine love fresh veggies so try to tempt them with those... however I think QTing them is the best thing for them it will allow you to watch them closely and i say after the normal QT period you should be home free since the ones that wouldn't make it wouldn't last this period... good luck and how dare you not show any pictures of your current pair ;D
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

20 gallon is cycled for sure... was my original tank and have just been keeping it going since.

I'm terrible at taking pictures but I will try!
        Gingerone's Tanks:
        55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4

Comment

lol can't wait for pics! heck you've seen half of my pictures so yours can't be much worse ;D
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Well darn... all three of my local Petsmarts didn't get any ottos today so there goes that plan...

Guess I'd prefer to get them from my usually store anyways.
            Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

You can always get a rain check...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I know nothing of otto's
                It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                  I know nothing of otto's
                  Thanks for your significant contribution to this thread.... :P HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Try them Anthony! Didn't realize how much I would like them til I tried them... so awesome to see them hanging out on a plant.
                  Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

Well... its my way of politely being a part of a thread and acknowledging ... and when info is given I might learn something

~Anthony

Comment

If you can get a tank full of diatoms then you will have a little better success. I had bought some for my 75 when it was first starting and went thru that phase of algae. Put 3 of them in there (as I was wondering what would make it due to the fragility of the fish) and after a few days I still had 3. They lived in that tank for a good while, until the evil power head sucked up 2 of them, that power head is no longer usable as it also ate a few other fish of mine, the evil thing. The last guy is still alive in the tank and spends move of his time hidding in my amazon swords. I have tried several times to add more to the tank but they usually pass within a day or so.
                      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I use to have a problem with diatoms...BUT now I only have to swish my plants maybe every other week to keep things clean... can not wait for it to stop though...

~Anthony

Comment

if you want the otto's dont swish the plants, they will clean them up very nicely in short order. I used to have pics of my 75 when I put them in and then a week later. You knew it was the same tank but it was almost completely clear of them.
                          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I am very happy and pleased to report that my remaining two ottos are still alive and well... it must be just getting past that initial phase (like someone else said). Saw both of them hanging out on the leaves of my grassy plant this morning.

Now to consider getting more....
                            Gingerone's Tanks:

Comment

Happy that you still have two of yours. I bought 6 ottos for my 75G tank because 2 of the sides are full of algae and so is the grapevine I have in there. I got them at Petsmart at their $1 sale. Sadly, I no longer have any. This is the second time I have tried to keep ottos and I don't think I will try again.
                              __________________________________________________ __________
                              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                              X