This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pleco not eating

I got a new pleco on Monday, longfined albino BN. Shes super active and zipping around constantly. I have not seen her eat yet. Her algae wafers have been pretty much untouched in the morning. There's hasn't been a good algae eater in the QT for at least a month, and ive seen her all over some of the likely spots for it to grow.

When should I get worried? I was going to offer some zuccini today as another option, any other suggestions?
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

I wouldn't be too worried. I rarely see mine eat either. They're nocturnal feeders so put some food in just after the lights go off. I put veggies in after the lights go off as well.
    -Jonathan

Comment

That makes sense. I was still hoping shed take noticeable bit of the overnight wafer

As far as food goes these are the different options I have on hand, which do you guys think are better staples for her?
      Repashy: super green, community, and shrimp souffle; top fin and api algae wafers. (Lots of left overs from other projects)
      I do have a few flakes and pellets, but her eventual cory tankmates usually devour those before they can settle in the gravel.
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Repashy is great. IMO it's not good for plecos to be eating flakes. Pellets and bars would be much better. Wafers are pretty much ignored by my corries so they will be there for the pleco. Also, once she gets comfortable she'll probably be actively eating along with the corries. BNs take a while to come around sometimes but once they are very good eaters.
        -Jonathan

Comment

I would also add some driftwood for her, my bn's seemed to love grazing on it and alot of their bowel movements you can tell are substantially made up of it. For mine I keep veggies in the tank more or less full time and they get whatever flakes fall to the bottom or worm and catfish bars. You could also try NLS wafers, they are huge and don't disintegrate quickly at all so that might help give her a chance at them.
          __________________________________________________ _____
          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I have an albino pleco and she LOVES repashy, actually fights snails off to get a piece lol. Mine was quite shy for a long time but now is out and about durring the day, but def more active when the lights are off.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Lots of wood in the display, helps keep my ph pretty balanced at 7. I put a tiny chunk in the QT so she had access until moving day.

Ill see if a zuccini is tempting tonight and try a repashy tomw ( can I give her super green? I got it for a nerite who refuses anything prepared and its now just sitting around)

Comment

Mine is always eating the zucchini, the bottom feeder wafers, the algae wafers, the nls pellets..pretty much anything she can get her mouth on, day or night.
                ~Erin
                10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

My plecos fight over Repashy. They love the green, algae and community formulas. Also, green beans, cucumber and zucchini.

It does take time, but once comfy you'll start to see her more. I have a pair in the planted 90G. They come out in the morning when I feed my fish, around sunset (timers are great), and at lights off when I drop sinking foods for them.

They refuse to share when it's something they really enjoy! I have BN who prefer zucchini and a foot long common who prefers cucumber. Why can't they both go after the same food

Anyway, you will find what entices your gal. And she will come out of hiding.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! Seeing Lacey isn't an issue at all so far. Shes very active and ziiping from the glass to a plastic plant to the bottom of the internal filter (not near the intake, just scrubbing all the plastic housing). I'm sure shell get hungry eventually, and the MTS are really enjoying the stuff she hasn't been interested in yet.

She is pretty small, only on inch without her fins. Would a fish that small eat enough algae wafer to be able to tell? I know the snails are, I can see the snail pile. But the wafers have all still been round and in the same spot in the morning.....just a snail party around it.

Comment

At that size she is probably filling up on the algae you nay not notice.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

Once she gets bigger she will probably be like mine - they actually pick the large wafer up and carry it off to another spot so they can hog it all in peace.
                        __________________________________________________ __________
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I caught Lacey snacking apparently she likes day old soggy zucinni. Its better soggy

Comment

It's softer so probably easier to suck it up.
                            __________________________________________________ __________
                            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                            X