fluval edge 6g for Mavrick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fluval edge 6g for Mavrick

My mom doesn't know yet but i intend to buy a fluval edge 6g for the cab it in the bathroom (would fit perfectly) so i have some questions about this tank, plants, and stocking...

okay so to star I have read and seen where you can fill this tank all the wat to the top... how does a betta go up for air in this tank? Is there a little hole or something...

The light that comes with this tank is it concidered low or medium lighting? What plants would you reccomened for this tank?

I was thinking for this stocking of the betta (this is where mavrick will be moved when I buy the bettas for my biotope) 2 mystery snails, and maybe some shrimp... I haven't decided yet becaue he does enjoy chasing shrimp... he is a jerk lol... but he only flares at snails doesn't do anything other than that...

So yeah I will keep this updated with changes but help would be awesome!!!
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I would think that him and a snail could get along nicely in it. I wouldnt fill it all the way to the top thou. As for the light I think its Low maybe low to mid.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

IMO Fluval Edges aren't the best for bettas because there is very little room for them to go up and breathe. I know several people that don't fill it all the way to the top because of that.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Henry is in a fluval edge
        I don't fill it to the top I leave about half a centimetre so he can go up and have a gulp.

The lights definitely low to mid I have upgraded his lights though and it looks so much brighter although the stock lights in his has given up so it was cheaper to buy a stronger led unit than replace the light box thingy. It's the same light as I have on Mordin's customised fluval chi.

I have managed to grow a few plants in there over the years I would recommend adding fertilised substrate or soil though to give them a boost.

The plants I have had success with are

Anubias
        Java fern
        Marimo
        Bacopa
        Saggitaria
        Micro sword
        Dwarf hair grass
        Cryptocoryne
        Rotala
        Hygrophila

He has two nerites and some mts as tankmates at the moment he did have bing and bong but they it way too big for his little tank and since moving them they are huge now

I do like my edge and as it is wide as apposed to high it is good for bettas
        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot about you having one Sarah... lol... thanks for the list of plants... I prefer to use liquid ferts and root tabs instead of dirting a tank bacause if you want to rearrange ANYTHING the dirt decided to float as well... annoying as heck... I am excited to start this :-) I plan to try and buy the tank in the next month... what color sahd should I get... I am torn between white and black... Mavrick is the typical red and blue colors normally seen in chain store bettas so either color would make him pop...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I'd go with black, white sand shows poop really well and gets stained after awhile. Depending on the type of snail this could be bad! I have a nerite in my 5 gallon betta tank with reddish sand, and she poops alllllll over the place. It's ridiculous.

Comment

I have black sand in my saltwater and i can see everything lol... but I do like the look of it... so black it is!

Okay so i will keep the water lower as i liked the one my lfs had setup for display! But it didn't have a lid it was all open top though... but yeah I decided I know what kind of snail I want! I want to try and find a spixi snail since they give live birth they also are cannibals so they will keep their own population in check! I totally want one sooo bad haha anyone know where I could maybe buy one? I can't find them online or maybe i am not digging enough...
              Last edited by RogueAgent94; 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I have crushed coral in mine I just liked the look lol Mordin's has black gravel.

I have found that as the edge is a little darker than some tanks lighter substrate works better. When I first had it set up I had black gravel out of the two I think the coral looks better but it is all about personal choice

Comment

I don't remeber your tank having coral Magoo... I kind of like the sound of it... but I have hard water already so the Ph raise would probably be to much...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

It's not pure crushed coral kind of like a pale peachy large sand type substrate. It only raised the ph very slightly and now it's been in there so long it barely does anything

I couldn't find the right coloured sand at the time and thought I would try this for a change and I have been very happy with it.
                    I use tetra plant complete under the coral which has worked really well in the edge too.

I don't put the lid on mine because of the new light but I don't miss it

What colour edge are you thinking of getting

Comment

Well there's something new to look up... tetra pant complete...

I thought the edge only came in white and black... I am thinking the black one since its more common to find here...
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                        Well there's something new to look up... tetra pant complete...

I thought the edge only came in white and black... I am thinking the black one since its more common to find here...
                        Lol you might want to look for tetra plant complete instead

Over here it comes in
                        Black
                        White
                        Terracotta
                        Silver

I have got the white one my 12 gallon was the white one too.

The black one looks pretty cool

Comment

Hh... is there something like that here in the U.S.? I am inky finding listings for it in the UK...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I think Eco complete is very similar

Comment

Alright ill look into it! And just saw a commercial... at petsmart all fish tanks are 25% off this week.... I am hoping I can have the money for the tank before the sale end makes a $100+ tank $75+ :-)
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X