URGENT: What is wrong with Vlad??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT: What is wrong with Vlad??

Earlier today, Vlad was swimming around like he always is. I started to do a water change, and about halfway through I noticed him in the corner, not moving. I gently tapped his tail with the tube, and he swam a little bit, and I saw a big red mark on his side. He isn't moving the pectoral fin on that side, and he's significantly less active. He has vertical stripes, which is very strange because I thought vertical stripes were breeding stripes, and horizontal ones were stress.

Any ideas?? The only thing I can think of is that he got pinched against the heater and it's a burn, but I don't even know how that would happen. I checked the temp and it was 83, which is definitely a little warmer than I like it to be, but nothing terrible. I unplug the heater during the water change (otherwise I'd have a 25W heater in like a gallon of water), and unfortunately by the end of the the water change the water was down to 78!! This is of course assuming the IR temp gun didn't fluctuate, which it has definitely been known to do. I turned the heater down and plugged it back in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I did a double dose of Prime and Fish Protector, and I'm not really sure what else I should be doing.
    Attached Files

That certainly looks like a burn or a bruise. Stresscoat+, Prime, Kordon Fish Protector, etc are all good things to put in. Course not at once. I would have used Stresscoat personally but Prime works just as well.
    -Jonathan

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear about this, it's a bad fish day for all.

I have no idea what might be wrong but I hope things get better soon x
      When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

I don't have Stresscoat, I just keep Prime around since more people seem to prefer it as an every day dechlorinator. I double-dosed on Fish Protector though so hopefully that will help.

I hope a rock didn't tip over and squish him, I hadn't thought of a bruise. The sand is at least an inch deep, so I figured it would be enough. The one big flat piece of sandstone, I tipped it forward so it's leaning on the tall yellow rock, so that it couldn't accidentally tip and squish him. That's the only one I think is in danger of tipping.

Thanks Al Hopefully both Vlad and your discus will all pull through.

Comment

I will hope for your fishies and mine x
          When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

He could have squeezed in somewhere he shouldn't have they do like small spaces keep up with what you are doing and he should be fine. My Mordin has a bump on his nose that I'm trying to help him heal due to him being a complete nutcase.
            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Hiding under the heater

Edit: Thanks Sarah Seems there are lots of betta problems going around these days.
              Attached Files

Comment

Such a sweetheart, I hope everything is okay

Comment

I can see that the eye on the same side of the injury is sticking out. Popeye on one side is often a result of injury rather than bacterial infection (or so I've read). Maybe he did get squished?? He's moving around at least, though still hiding under the heater.

Edit: I wiggled my finger and he swam out!!! And he's using the fin again!!! I feel REALLY bad because the bright red area is much darker red now. Meaning that when I saw it, it was probably very fresh. Meaning....I REALLY hope I didn't do something, like knock a rock over and squish him or something. :'( I don't recall knocking any rocks over, I feel like I would have seen/heard it.

Actually, he isn't quite using the fin...I saw him use it for a bit, but he's now holding it against his side again. Oh, he just flapped it a little Sorry, I'll stop narrating his actions I'm glad he's out and about at least.

Does anyone think I should treat with a maracyn (if so, which?) for the popeye? Or just daily water changes? I feel like it might really irritate the wound area.
                  Last edited by kinezumi89; 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM.

Comment

That poor little guy, he can't catch a break

It does almost look like a burn, but like you said, I don't think he could burn himself on the heater, I grabbed big ones before to see if they're working and they don't feel that hot.

Were there any rocks tipped over? Just remembering Vlads tank there are lots of V shaped crevices and I know my boy likes to squeeze in to tight places, maybe he got stuck and abraded. In any event what you're doing sounds fine, did you ever get the vita-chem?

Recently Max had some fraying in the first 1 or 2 mm of his fins, I went to 3x a week 1/4 dose of vita chem between wcs and he is responding to that well. Maybe add that to the cocktail.
                    __________________________________________________ _____
                    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I was going to buy it off Drs Foster and Smith using the gift certificate I won from the photo contest, but when I went to check out, it said it didn't recognize the code. I sent Mike a message, hopefully he gets back to me soon.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good I would think whatever he got stuck in abraded/irritated the eye as well. I'd probably hold off on any maracyn for now as, like you said, its fresh and things are all swollen and throbby when they're fresh, I'd let it settle down but continue wc's

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Good news, just heard from Mike! The date was wrong (it was 2012, instead of 2013, which I totally should have caught.. :;smack) and I ordered a 16oz bottle. Hopefully it will be here by next weekend, so I can pick it up and put it to good use.

He's back to hiding under the heater, but he's still flippyflapping his little fins, which I'm glad to see.

Comment

Yay! I can finally stop telling/asking you to get it
                            Thats good to hear, I bet it was sore form whatever he got himself into.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Great news Kine

Comment

Working...
                              X