Splitting a 10g

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting a 10g

Okay so I think it's nearing time for Sonata and Viola to get their tank... But I want to divide a 10g in half for them... I was reading and I think I want to do a silicone glass divider... But I have one issue and tank how to make it nowhere they can't see each other... I don't have enough moss to do a moss wall... Does glass come in other colors? Like a solid black or blue? Though black is prefered... Doing this I can also raise two colonies of neocardinias in the same tank but seperate sides! I have learned the two are very friendly towards inverts!
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I think you should be able to get colored glass - even darkly tinted should do the trick. If you can't find it at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot, call your local glass company. Are you going to put some small holes in it so you have the water flow or will you have a filter in each side?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Actually I am having so much luck with the walstade(?) In my betta biotope I want to do it for this one as well... Though I will start with filtration to build up a bb colony! Though I do wonder if I will need a heater on each side of the tank or if one on one side will warm it enough...
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

If you can't find colored glass you could probably use a rough grit sandpaper and thoroughly scratch the heck out of it. The imperfections on it will probably help algae to grow on it too.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I don't know if it's feasible, but you could cut a U-shape into the center of the divider and fit the heater so it is in both sides.

Do you have to use glass? Why not get a piece of acrylic? It will be easier to trim the way you want it.
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

That's a good idea... But I'd be worried they would decide to rub against it and scratch themselves then cause an infection of some kind even if it's rubbed down... (Sorry not trying to shoot your idea down just expressing my worry)
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I just throwing stuff against the wall and hoping something sticks . I never thought about them rubbing against it. Good point.
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I don't imagine it'd be any more rough than sand. Imo the cuts caused by the sandpaper wouldn't produce a high enough "peak" to cause any damage to the fish. After all, it's what I use after a cut glass to dull the edges for handling.

Don't worry about your expressing your worries! I don't take it personally! I already know my ideas are the best! lol!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Duh, I thought that was aimed at me - oops.
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                    Duh, I thought that was aimed at me - oops.
                    You're very attentive to the OP though Lori so its all good

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Well if I can't find any colored glass ill defiantly look into sand paper... But the paper part of it... Is it safe to have in the tank? Could I cover the glass in silicone and dump some on it to do the shame thing?
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

If you are really artsy, you could take your divider glass and do a graffiti theme or something with silicone and different colored sands. It would be very original.
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

You saw the lava rock wall haha... I am not artsy... But I think I know someone is...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I meant take a regular piece of glass, sand the heck out of it so its so scratched you can't see through it and put it in. I would not put the actual sandpaper in the tank, it has adhesives on it and stuff! lol!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Ahhh lol my bad that makes way more sense haha...
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X