Betta has white spots on her eyes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta has white spots on her eyes

My son has a betta in his room. It's a 5 gallon heated to 80, gentle filter, sand substrate and live plants and 30% water change weekly. I noticed yesterday what looked like a white dot on one of its eyes. I didn't think much about it at the time. However this morning during feeding time, I noticed it was missing its food when trying to eat. I looked closer and noticed it had a white spot on both eyes.

So, what is this exactly and do I treat it with more frequent water changes? I've been soaking food in vitachem and will continue to do so. I have fish protector I can use if needed, but if this is an infection of some sort, what type of meds do I need?

This is my "rescue betta" from last year. She's done so well until now.

How old do you think she is? Older fish can develop cataracts, which would explain why her vision was poorer.

Comment

I got her a year ago from an lfs that housed her with 4 other females. She was a mess at that point, but I'd say fully grown, or almost. I'm not sure how long it takes for a betta to be "cup-sized" but she was bigger than the females I see in the cups at Petsmart.

Comment

Sorry to say, to sounds like her age is starting to catch up with her. I don't know that you can do anything else for her besides what you are already doing, which is taking excellent care of her.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Cataracts, if that's what they are, aren't painful or anything. It just means her vision is cloudy. But if she's by herself and you make sure she gets enough to eat, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Here's a couple pictures. Ignore the strange red streak showing up...that's not there in real life. The photo came out funny. The close-up shows the white dot that is most obvious. Her other eye has one too, but it's more grey and harder to see. I didn't notice it yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	137990Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	137991

Comment

Aww she's pretty Looks like a small cataract to me. (I can't really see the one in the second picture. )

Comment

It does look like her eye is just clouding over with a cataract. There really isn't anything you can do for her.
                __________________________________________________ __________
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                  Aww she's pretty Looks like a small cataract to me. (I can't really see the one in the second picture. )
                  Thanks. This is the picture of her a year ago when I rescued her. So, I know clean water does wonders. Hopefully it's only cataracts. She's been through a lot so I want to make sure to give her a good life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	137994

Comment

I think you're already doing that Do you also put vita-chem in her water? I'm not sure if it has any benefits over being ingested in food, but a couple drops definitely couldn't hurt.

Comment

Yep, I did that too. Guess I'll just wait and see if she improves or not.

Comment

You have done an awesome job so far with her she is in good hands I used to feed Mordin and Henry with tweezers as they would miss the soaked pellets as they sunk too fast. They were confused at first but soon caught on that that was where the food was. It might help as she may be able the see the tweezers better than the food
                        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
                        X