Breeding Cresendo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Cresendo

So I have given thought to it before but didn't have the room for the extensive setup that would be needed to breed bettas... Now everyone putting grudges aside about bettas (Jon lol) I have done some research on what would need to be done to raise the fry but the information varies so much its not funny... My petsmart has been getting in tons of shipments of pink females that match my Cresendo and I would love to breed him... My questions are pretty basic but I literally would love any advice, tips, and tricks you guys have... (Jon I know you have breed bettas. No idea of you have SK but I know you are the foremost betta expert I know...)

1. Once the fry are born how soon should I remove them?
    2. What should they be fed and how often?
    3. As they grow when should they be separated?
    4. Is it possible for two brothers to get along together if they are kept together at birth... I've seen it before but not.sure if it's.to common or nott...
    5. What age/size would be a good shipping age/size for them?
    6. When it's time to start separating everyone would the cups be fine for them when small until shipping is possible (please don't hate me for asking...)
    7. How the heck would I keep all the containers warm enough for everyone?
    8. Is it possible to make some kind of a filter for a bunch of small tanks/cups or would daily water changes be.simpler?

That's all I can think of right now but any other suggestions and advice is welcome...

Oh yes.9. How do I setup a breeding tank and how big should it be?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Bump.... My 2g just came open.so I could house a female... All posted questions still apply...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about breeding bettas. But I will be following this with interest to see how you make out. Good luck.
      __________________________________________________ __________
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I'm pretty sure SK knows all about that, maybe send him a message in case he missed this thread

Comment

Hello Sean! Are you prepared to dedicate most of your time (and quite a bit of money) to accomplish this?
          9. How do I setup a breeding tank and how big should it be?
          The pair of bettas should be bred in a 10-15 gallon tank, the water dark with tanins from Indian Almond Leaves. Set a heater in at an angle set at ~84 degrees. Be certain to use a sponge filter!
          Originally posted by Sean View Post
          You don't, at least not at that early of a stage.
          They should be fed a SMALL portion of microworms promptly after the removal of the male parent (mentioned below). After this initial feeding, give them more worms or BBS twice a day unless you see live ones swimming around. NOTE: Overfeeding WILL cause swim bladder disorder!!! Don't change the water for the first two weeks; if you don't overfeed you shouldn't have a problem.
          Once the males start acting like, well males, you should seperate them from the group. The females can be grown out together in a larger tank.
          4. Is it possible for two brothers to get along together if they are kept together at birth... I've seen it before but not.sure if it's.to common or nott...
          I wouldn't risk it :/
          Hmm... I would say when their colors have developed quite a bit.
          6. When it's time to start separating everyone would the cups be fine for them when small until shipping is possible (please don't hate me for asking...)
          If you do daily water changes, I think it would be fine. You could try dividing a large tank many times and see if that would work.
          Heat the room to the desired temp.
          8. Is it possible to make some kind of a filter for a bunch of small tanks/cups or would daily water changes be.simpler?
          I say water changes

How to breed the betta pair:
          Place the male in first, and once you have fed the female plenty of protein-rich foods causing her to swell with eggs, place her in as well in a vase with the top far above aquarium water level. Once the male builds his bubble nest due to the appearance of the female, release her into the tank. Note that this is not something you can walk away from, you must watch carefully to insure the violence does not become too severe.
          If all goes well, the male will wrap himself around her and squeeze the eggs out, placing them in his bubble nest as they appear. Once the female seems to have rid of her load, promptly move her into another tank to recover, else she may start consuming the eggs.
          Once the eggs have hatched, the male will tend the nest and catch any fry that fall. Remove him once they become free-swimming.

Did I miss anything?

Comment

I kept both parents in the same tank for about a week. The female kept going over to Male's side of the tank and checking for frys that have dropped in substrate and took them (thought she was eating them) to her side to her bubble nest and shoved them in her corner. I would at least move the female out of the tank since the Male does all the parental duties from what I read, not from my experience. Both parents did a great job. I would at least wait until they are free swimmers. I also had floating plants (stem plants)

The frys ate copepods in my tank. Didn't really feed them, but ate the shrimp food that was for my shrimps and saw them eating/picking off the algae on my driftwood.

I had all of them in the same tank until they were big enough to give away to friends and family members.

For the time being until they get big enough and start developing their territorial behavior.

Hmmm...good question. I would imagine the size that they sell the Baby Bettas.

Yes.

Heated room.

You can make a filter, but daily WC would be simple

That's all I can think of right now but any other suggestions and advice is welcome...

Oh yes.9. How do I setup a breeding tank and how big should it be?

Mine wasn't on purpose. I had a male and female in a 25g. The only other inhabitants were shrimps. Plenty of driftwood (gazillion).

My last Betta died recently (2 weeks) that I would hand feed daily She came from the batch.
            Last edited by NorthStar; 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM. Reason: change color
            Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Working...
            X