Beta Rescue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta Rescue

So my wife was at her sisters and told me she had to bring me a betta before my niece killed it. I'm surprised he wasn't dead already! Ammonia was well over 8ppm and his poor little fins are rotting. I don't even think his container is a half gallon and it was filthy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	fin rot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	141774

I'd like to help her out by setting up a better tank for her to keep him in. I was thinking about a 3 or 5 gallon. What's the smallest tank you'd keep a betta in?
    Last edited by catsma_97504; 05-02-2013, 10:29 PM. Reason: Language
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

Beautiful fish! He's looking great for being in such bad conditions. I'm sure he's glad to be in your care

Comment

My goal will be to get him back to good health and then teach her some proper care. She's mad that my wife took him, she wasn't home at the time, but he'd have been dead soon if she hadn't!
      8 GloFish
      6 Glowlight Tetra
      1 Dwarf Gourami
      4 Mystery Snail

Comment

No joke! Definitely what's best for the betta.

Comment

A lot of people will yell at me, but I'd say a 3g will be alright until you can find room for a 10g. If you feel uncomfortable that small, go with the 5g as a compromise.
          ~Erin
          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

A 3 would be the minimum. 5 would be best. You should get some Bettafix for him. Good luck. I hope the shock of going from such a shoddy environment to a clean one isn't too much. He is a pretty little guy.
            __________________________________________________ __________
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Pretty fish! Glad your wife grabbed him when she could. I also agree that a 3g should be fine if you can't go any bigger. Course the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of it.
              -Jonathan

Comment

I agree that 3 would be the minimum if you can't get bigger. But the bigger the tank is, the easier it will be to keep the water pristine, giving him the best chances for a full recovery

Comment

I'll definitely be hitting up a store or two tomorrow. I was leaning towards a 5 gallon kit with a filter and all. Will Bettafix help with his poor rotting fins?

This is a pic of his current "home"
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	138351
                  8 GloFish
                  6 Glowlight Tetra
                  1 Dwarf Gourami
                  4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I wouldn't use Bettafix myself, it's just dilute Melafix because full-strength melafix coats their labyrinth organs, preventing them from breathing. The dilute mixture allows them the ability to breathe, but it doesn't really help as much since it's dilute.

If you can get vita-chem, I found it help my betta's fins heal. Kordon fish protector would be another good product to use if you can find it. Otherwise daily water changes will be your best bet. If his fin problems are just from the ammonia and not finrot or something infectious, then clean water will be plenty to heal them.

Comment

I'll have to see what I can find tomorrow. Our LFS's don't have much but I know I can keep his water clean. Thanks for the advice!
                      8 GloFish
                      6 Glowlight Tetra
                      1 Dwarf Gourami
                      4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I must have been doing the right thing because when I went to Meijer to look at some of their 5 gallon kits a guy was buying some fish food and asked if I was looking for a tank. I told him the story and he said "well I have a 5 gallon setup at home you can have for $5!" He only lived about a half mile away! Go me!
                        8 GloFish
                        6 Glowlight Tetra
                        1 Dwarf Gourami
                        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Good Karma!
                          __________________________________________________ __________
                          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Wow beautiful betta! Love its pectoral fins.... at least he has a great home now!
                            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Yep...it's nice when the universe pays you back, makes me feel pretty good.
                              8 GloFish
                              6 Glowlight Tetra
                              1 Dwarf Gourami
                              4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Working...
                              X