Help! Ridiculous fin shredding!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Ridiculous fin shredding!

I have a divided, planted 10 gal, with 2 male bettas. They're pretty calm, have been together on a few accidental occassions (as soon as I found them together I separated them, but they didn't fight or anything. Didn't even care! I'll be posting a thread with all their shenanigans soonish) All was fine between my boys.
    however, Logan has been shredding his fins ... ALL OF THEM! At first it was his tail, then it got worse, and worse, then he stopped, all was fine, the fins even appeared to be growing back again, then it started again, then stopped and looked like there was improvement again. Well, now he looks like a female crowntail betta instead of the male halfmoon.

Before:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00742.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	141848Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00781.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	141849Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00814.jpg
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	141850Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00835.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	141851

Today:
    (Ignore the algae )

Name:	2013-05-12 14.51.27.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	141852

If he's having an identity crisis, I can respect that... I woulda thought he was bored, but I've got a plaything in there and he's not interested, there's cover for him to hide in if it's too bright (still trying to get both sides lit properly for the plants) and plants... *shrug* I just dunno, at this rate, he wont have any fins left!

I do weekly 60-70% water changes, and I add vitachem at least twice a week to his side.
    He was on the other side when all this started, so I swapped him with Victor to see if it was something starp I couldn't find. But Victor is fine, not a single tear or nick in his fins.

So my questions:
    I plan on putting Logan in the QT tank soonish, I gotta put some more cover in there first. Will he recover?
    Do ya'll know of any other reason why his fins would be tearing besides environment and him doing this?
    Does he have fin rot? how susceptible is he to it now? what do I need to look for and how do I treat?

Thanks ya'll!

Looks like tail biting and not from a sharp object.

Bettas bite their tail when under stress. For some reason he is not happy. The trick is to figure out why. Adding IAL and soaking foods in garlic to keep his immune system built up should help while you figure out why he is unhappy. Bettas under such condition are very susceptible to secondary infection.

Have you added or removed anything? Even something as simple as moving a rock or turning a piece of driftwood can be what started the biting. How long have they been in this tank?

Hopefully you can figure out what is bothering him and resolve it soon.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Perhaps he's decided he doesnt like sharing a tank. Do you have somewhere to move him to where he doesnt have to see any other fish?

Comment

So I heard, thats why I've been adding Vitachem twice a week, I hope thats not overdoing it is it? The IAL are on the way, I ordered them earlier in the month. and I currently feed them NLS Thera+ and the occasional thawed bloodworm (does it do anything to soak bloodworms in garlic juice?) I'll start soaking tomorrow I think we have some garlic jars sitting around!

The first chunk that went missing, no nothing had changed except some plants grew, oh and I managed to plug up all the spots where he kept hopping the divider to the other Betta (Victor)'s side. Again, no fighting or flaring or anything. I have a video of them just ignoring each other ?(the video was taken the 2nd or 3rd time it happened, the 4th was the last time), so I never thought he was stressed out by another fish's presence. They've been in the tank together since early Jan. The ripping started maybe march?

After the first two chunks went missing few weeks later, I pulled a decor item that I thought he was getting snagged on, I would have put it back, but like a dummy, I put it in a bucket of stuff that needed to be sterilized. I just got to cleaning it and letting it dry recently.

I do have a QT tank thats bare bottom. I just put his old decor item and a few other plastic caves in it today. I'll refill and turn the heater on and move him over tomorrow after work. I'll feel terrible if he doesn't like his tankmate. I thought they were just special and didn't care about the others presence. Shame on me.

Comment

Don't feel bad Tuna you are an excellent betta mummy.

Sometimes bettas will bite their tails because they like it it's an odd occurance but it happens its a habit like biting your nails sometimes we do it because we are stressed or sometimes we do it because it is habit.

You know bettas can be individual little weirdos sometimes.

You are doing everything right for him

Soaking food in garlic juice can boost immune system so it will help him to stave off infection. I use garlic guard which is pretty much prepared garlic juice but you can make your own if you crush a couple of cloves and put it in a jar with some tank water and give it a good mix then your are good to use it.

Keep us posted when you do the tank move
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
            Don't feel bad Tuna you are an excellent betta mummy.

You mean Ziggi.....? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Akari_32 View Post
              You mean Ziggi.....? Lol
              I wasn't gonna say anything, figured it was a term of endearment ya'll fishy folks use!

Comment

Originally posted by Akari_32 View Post
                You mean Ziggi.....? Lol
                Doh...... Sorry Ziggy in my defence it was early when I wrote that but I still mean every word you know I love you too
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I had a divided betta tank and their fins both got worse and worse. One was nipping, probably because the other betta was feisty and stressing him out, and the other was probably because of poor water quality because the filter was with the other betta. (I had a mini internal filter in with him but had to put it in a QT tank.) Boris, the one who was nipping, is about 90% back to normal, but I'm STILL trying to get Vlad's fins back. I did a run of Maracyns in case it was finrot, didn't help. Daily 80% water changes with Kordon fish protector, didn't help. The only thing that did help was vita-chem with the weekly water change, and putting a drop in every day, which is what I'm still doing. Here are a few pictures of Vlad showing his different stages of finniness. http://imgur.com/a/cFZks

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                    Doh...... Sorry Ziggy in my defence it was early when I wrote that but I still mean every word you know I love you too
                    So thats how it is, huh?! I kid! *hugs* like I said, I figured "Tuna" was a term of endearment, like how most peeps older than me call me a "Kid" *shrugs*

You should coin that! It'll be the "next big thing!" :P

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                    I had a divided betta tank and their fins both got worse and worse. One was nipping, probably because the other betta was feisty and stressing him out, and the other was probably because of poor water quality because the filter was with the other betta. (I had a mini internal filter in with him but had to put it in a QT tank.) Boris, the one who was nipping, is about 90% back to normal, but I'm STILL trying to get Vlad's fins back. I did a run of Maracyns in case it was finrot, didn't help. Daily 80% water changes with Kordon fish protector, didn't help. The only thing that did help was vita-chem with the weekly water change, and putting a drop in every day, which is what I'm still doing. Here are a few pictures of Vlad showing his different stages of finniness. http://imgur.com/a/cFZks
                    Awe how sad! Victor still hasn't touched his fins (he better keep it that way!)... Logan is now in his own 10 gal, it's got 2 cave decor things plus his old fake planted log thing. And some Water wisteria trimmings for kicks. I added 2 small IAL (I hope thats not too much!...) and I'm adding vita chem three times a week: 10 drops on water change day (75% WC), 5 drops usually on wed, 5 more on fri. Fingers crossed he stops the foolishness and recovers well. Maybe Vlad and Logan are having a midlife crisis?
                    I feel better knowing (in theory) they should grow back OK ...how long did it take?

Comment

They're not completely grown back, but the bad picture in the album was mid-February, and the last two were early May, so almost two months. His were way shorter than your betta's, though, so I'd expect hours to be quicker.

Comment

Go to walmart or such, get a plastic folder, black works the best, cut the folder down the center for 2 pieces and slide them in next to the plastic divider(may need to cut them to fit). Also, cut a few slits in the folder to let water pass through.

Also, who has the filter? Which side is it on
                        My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
                        "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

Fwiw I did that and it did not help my bettas.

Comment

Update!

So it's been ... a week maybe(?) since he got a 10 gal to himself, weekly 75-80% water change (I've done atleast one with him in there, but thats my schedule for this tank!), bi-weekly vitchem dosing, 2 IAL in tank, and garlic soaked NLS thera+ nuggets.

Name:	DSC01115.jpg
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	138569 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01116.jpg
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	138570

Name:	DSC01117.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	138571 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01119.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	138572

Name:	DSC01120.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	138573

Please forgive the lousy quality. I'll try for better pics tomorrow I may be hallucinating, but I believe I see fin recovery!!!

Comment

Hurray!

Comment

Working...
                              X