Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help save Nubbins' tail before it's too late!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help save Nubbins' tail before it's too late!!

Hello all,

Awhile ago (like, quite awhile ago) we noticed a chunk missing out of our BN pleco's tail. (Her name is Professor Nubbins, Nubbins for short.) Long story short, it got progressively worse and worse, but then started getting better, until it was pretty much back to normal.

Now, even though we're doing larger water changes than we ever have thanks to our water changer, her tail is disappearing again. We're doing weekly 50%+ (the water level looks to be a bit less than half, and with the fact it's full of rocks and plants and wood and gravel, that has to be a fair amount more than 50%) water changes, very thorough gravel vacuumings, and for the last few weeks/month or so I've been adding Kordon Fish Protector. I just got vita-chem and added the first dose on Wednesday.

At this point her tail is the worst it's ever been. It's not ragged, and the edges aren't tattered or frayed or white or black or red or anything weird. It literally looks like someone took a pair of scissors and trimmed her tail. The first time this happened, and also this time, her second row of pectoral fins (sorry, not sure what they're called) were missing the tips. This time, her dorsal fin is also missing a chunk.

I'm not sure what else I should be doing, what with the huge water changes and adding various liquid supplements. We're thinking of moving her to our 20 gallon. Right now it only has Igor (dwarf gourami), three endlers, two cories, two nerites, and a bunch of RCS. I don't like the idea of keeping a BN pleco in a 20 gallon permanently, especially since she's at like four inches-ish and has been in the 55 since it's been set up (I feel bad downgrading her) but since it's a small tank it'll be easier to keep an eye on her, easier to do two water changes per week (it's a pretty big ordeal to do the 55, but the 20 is just a bucket's-worth), plus it's sand instead of gravel so it's easier to keep clean. The fish in there aren't nippy - I've never seen Igor go after the endlers or RCS - so I feel like if her fins start to grow back right away, it would make it clear that the problem was nipping (which I don't feel like it would be, but with how clean the tank is, finrot doesn't seem to fit the bill either).

Relevant info:
    55 gallons, Aquatop cf-400UV canister filter
    8 neons
    7 rainbows
    6 platies (one is just a fry)
    Nubbins
    Assassin snails
    Gravel substrate, driftwood, rocks, lots of plants

She's my boyfriend's favorite fish, so help us save her tail before it's too late!! I'm pretty sure once it gets to the body that it doesn't grow back. We've had her the longest and would be sad if we couldn't save her tail. She's very active and from what I hear plecos often hide a lot.

Questions:
    1. Finrot? Nipping? Other?
    2. Should we move her to the 20 long? If not, what should we do differently in the 55?

Thank you

Edit: Sorry for the bad pictures, but she wouldn't move I'll upload better pictures as I can get them.
    Attached Files

Hard to tell if it is rot or caused from nipping. I had a ram that almost lost his tail. And discovered it was from nipping. Took me a long while to figure out what was happening as fish are like a group of 2 year olds. Turn your back and the problems start up! Anyway, caught the culprit and got rid of them. And with extra water changes, pristine environment, fresh veggies and garlic, his fin healed quite nicely. Which reminds me, the ram is showing great coloring. I need to get a picture tomorrow after I clean the tank.

Anyway, watch for any signs that would indicate nipping. Check out the others closely as IME fin rot can affect many. Keep the tank in pristine condition and feed a variety of healthy foods. If this doesn't work, then use antibiotics. If you don't want to wait go for the antibiotics.

Best of luck.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Ahhh your avatar is so cute!! We had six bunnies at my house at one point.

Thank you for your advice. If you think there is even a chance it is nipping, then I think I'll move her to the 20 long and see if it improves. I think the fact that she's had the problem for so long, and none of the other fish have the same problem...if it was infectious, you would think someone else would show the same symptoms. It just seems so odd that I've never seen anyone nip at her, and it's always the same spots (mostly the caudal fin, the second row of pectoral fins to a lesser degree, and this time now the dorsal fin too).

Comment

If she improves simply by being moved then you will know!

Thanks. Thought it was time to show off Mr Sniffles since Easter is just around the corner.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

I think with it only effecting her and its not the first time it probably is nipping. It's more than likely going to be the same places as when she displayed her fins they were the easy targets for very naughty fish and if she is quite a laid back fish that could be why it's persistent.

I would move her for now just to be on the safe side and watch for improvement. I hope she gets her fins back she is a pretty girl

Dena I have to say I love your bunny soooooo cute I haven't had rabbits for years one of mine was evil she was a rescue and not very tame but she let me hold her but no one else and she was huge she was an old English spot
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I agree that nipping sounds like the most likely culprit.
            When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

It does sound like nipping but I can't imagine what would be going after her fins. Maybe the Platies...
              I hope she recovers! I noticed the other day that my LF bn didn't have most of his tail. It used to be longer than his entire body! I think he burned it off on the heaters.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone I'll move her over to the 20 today and see if she improves. I'm not sure how I'll go about catching her though...

Comment

Use the force. The force? USE THE FORKS!
                  When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Lol, the forks are strong in this one!
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Lololool

Comment

LOL I will not be forking Nubbins

Comment

I'm confused....

BACK on topic, you should take daily pictures so you can track the growth.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

I will try to do that, and post them here.

I posted in my "10 gallon betta tank" thread, but to update this one, I have moved my remaining three endlers out of the 20 long and into the 10 gallon with Boris. He's a very lax betta and I will of course be watching the tank very closely when I let them go (they're still acclimating). I know endlers don't have a lot of bioload, but knowing how much plecos poop, I'd like there to be as little in the tank with her as possible, at least for awhile. I was thinking of moving them anyway, since I won't be getting any more from Nut (sniff) and I'll have to think of something else to put in there, assuming Nubbins isn't a permanent inhabitant, which I'm sure she'd rather be in the 55 anyway.

Comment

You want more endlers? LOL I have endlers.
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X