More Eggs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Eggs!

I have a similar thread on FL, but just wanted to share that I'm watching my sterbai's lay eggs and have already gathered two so far. My other cory's are quickly following trying to eat the eggs, so I might not get many unless I'm extremely vigilant and quick! I already have three "blackish" cory fry in a breeders box right now, so I'm crossing my fingers those might be sterbai as well. Time will tell!

Well I hope those are!! And good luck

Comment

That would be awesome!! I heard the reason sterbais can be hard is because the females take a long time to sexually mature.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I call first dibs on them when you create a BST

Congrats on the Sterbai eggs

Comment

Thanks! She's laying them two-three at a time, so I've gathered 9 so far from leaves. She's laid a few on the silicone seam, so those will be harder to get off. She's taking her good old dandy time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	137778

Name:	010.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	137779
          Last edited by amber0107; 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Congrats!!

Sterbai are also more difficult to breed cause they only lay a couple eggs at a time. My Aeneus will lay up to 16 eggs at a time lol.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Grats Amber!
              ~Erin
              10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Congratulations Amber can't wait to see pictures of the babies
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Awesome news! Good luck with them.
                  __________________________________________________ __________
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	137789Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	137790Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	137791Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	137792Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	137793

Eggs and unknown fry (4-7 days old).

One issue I'm running into that I've had in the past is keeping the bottom of the breeder's box clean. It has a tendency to suck in stuff from the main tank. Also, the grid they provide to keep the fry from going out of the box is too large and even though I have a sponge stuck up in it as well, I often find my fry stuck. I'm sure I've lost many in the past this way. Right now my spare tank is being used for mystery snail grow out, but I'll probably transfer these in there as soon as I can to minimize losses.

Comment

Found a cory fry dead. It was stuck in the sponge I have jammed in the outflow. Not sure if it got stuck or simply died and was caught up in to the current. So, do I leave them there? Do I move them in with my mystery babies? A shrimp tank? Something else entirely? I've always found these fry to be weaker than my albino fry. They seem to die easily.

Comment

I would move them if you can just to be on the safe side. Do you have a ta m available without predators and not so strong a current?

I'm sorry for your loss

Comment

Well, my original plan had been to put them in the spare tank with a sponge filter....then my mysteries hatched and I moved them their instead due to the number of them. I know some keep mystery snails in their breeding tanks because they're good for clean up and their "slime" breeds goodies that the little ones like to feed off of, but I'm not so sure if they'll do well in there. I had mystery snails with my otocinclus fry last year and they did great, but I was always nervous.

I'm not sure I can convince my husband to let me set up another "temporary" tank.

Comment

In an emergency it may be worthwhile to set up a temporary tank just for the babies or maybe put them in with your baby mysteries if there is space

Comment

Id either go temp tank or put them with the snails, not like either one will eat each other.
                              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X