What are my BN's doing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my BN's doing

I've had 2 albino bn plecos in my 55g for a couple months now, I got them about 1 1/2" long and they're near 4" now. They normally don't hang out together but arent't aggressive when they meet, they just go the other way. This morning I was watching them on the back glass and they would inch closer to one another and extend some kind of "jabber" from next to their gill plate and try to get eachother with it.

These are my first plecos and I was shocked to see this appendage pop out, enlighten me please. What are these "jabber" things and does this mean its time to rehome one of them. They look identical in appearance.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Re: What are my BN's doing

Sounds like they are maturing. Do you know their sex? If not, post pictures.

As for the "jabber" they are extending, mine do that as well. I have a male/female pair in the 90G. They have spawned together a few times, but the fry never survive. They keep tabs on each other, but are rarely together. And when they meet up, they both puff up like you are describing.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Just showing off to each other trying to become dominant lol. Their whiskers which come out of their gills make them look bigger and that's why they use them.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Okay, these were super hard to get because they look identical to me so I had to keep checking the tank until they both were out.
        1st

I can't believe I caught #1 showing his jabbers!

Sorry about the quality, I had to get what I could while I was sure which was which.

That makes sense Jon, I had just never seen them before so it was crazy looking!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Since I have some pictures of them up do either look male or female to anyone?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Assuming they are fully mature, I'd say you have 2 females. Usually when they grow larger than 3 inches the males will develop their bristles.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

I agree that they are both female, my regular bn pleco is only about 3.5 inch and his bristlese are starting to get really big,
              I think its really cool that just about any fish can flare up in their own way.
              Matt

Comment

Thanks Dena I was thinking that because of the lack of bristles.

Yeah Moto, I had never seen them do this so it was really crazy looking, my calm docile little bns all the sudden had all these spikes protruding from them!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Yep, probably both females. How warm do you keep your tank? Cause the one in the first picture looks like an immature male.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

I keep it at 80 f, they are approximately 5 months old give or take.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Ah. Probably females then .
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Could you elaborate in regard to the temp question and sexing? I'm curious.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Lower the temperature the slower the fish matures which means males can get bristles later in life in a colder tank. It's not probable but it's possible.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                          X