New BN pleco, need some opinions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BN pleco, need some opinions.

I just got this boy yesterday. His coloring is coming back today but i have a few things that are concerning me.

The first is the redness on his body

Red belly and just an over all redness to his skin.

I'm not actually 100% on his species either, A.multispinis or A.Tamboensis. His head shape doesn't suggest a common A.cirrhosus(and the store didn't order any) but his color is closest to Ancistrus pirareta, however, they seem to have double branched bristles.

Another thing would be the back pattern. I though they were stress patches that plecos get but these are symmetrical so maybe he is a Pie-bald?

You can also see some of the redness here.

He is eating and pooping fine, no parasites from what i can see.
    My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
    "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Nice looking fish!! Redness on the top is a sign of being a male. It is apparent in most BN species except we can't see it as well in some. Tamboensis looks close. Could be a Ancistrus sp. 'RIO CHIRGUA' or Ancistrus maracasae.
    -Jonathan

Comment

The thing with tomboensis, PC says 4.5" This guys is already 5" and still growing i think.

Could definitely be Ancistrus maracasae, those guys get big too(I really hope he won't be some 7-8" monster). Ancistrus sp. 'RIO CHIRGUA is also similar. Either way, I am sure now that the white markings are natural. Do you think a ray count of his dorsal would help on the ID?
      My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
      "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

If he is still growing then probably not a Tomboensis. All of these measurements have about a .5" error either direction so he could be 5" and a tombeonsis but any bigger and I'd say he was something else. I don't know if a ray count would help or not. Can't hurt though.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
        X