Fin Nips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fin Nips

So it looks like my tetras are nipping at my angels...unless the angels are swimming upside down and the shrimp are chowing down on their dorsal fins. While I haven't seen it happening, they're the only culprits in the 55. I have seen a little chasing here and there, but that's about it.

So here's my question: Will this lay off when the angels get a bit bigger? Should I give it more time till everyone "settles" as I am going through a mini cycle? I was told the emperors were supposed to be fairly good with other fish, and even then I bought a large school to keep any aggression among themselves!

Would it be best to separate them or leave the angels to try to figure out that they should start turning on the tetras to get them to leave them alone? I can move my 6 danios to the 55 and move the angels to the 29g with the cherries and the cories and the GBR until they get bigger.

I'd prefer not to get rid of the tetras, but will if that's my only option left.
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

What kind of tetras are they? I had red Serpae(sp) Tetras in with my angels and they were the nippiest little things. I gave all but one of them away. Couldn't catch the last one, but now that all his buddies are gone, he isn't nippy any more. I hated to do it because I really liked them, but the angels come first.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Blue emperor tetras, Lori. They're supposed to be fairly peaceful.
      ~Erin
      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

From what I've read they are unless put in with boisterous fish like danios
        http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemat...meri#section_1
        Maybe this will help a little
        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Yeah, nothing but them, the angels, the pleco and the shrimp..
          ~Erin
          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

How many do you have? I believe that with some fish if the school isn't big enough they will nip at other fish
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

14. My lfs manager is baffled as well.
              ~Erin
              10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

That is a puzzle. I'm stumped. Is it all of them of just certain ones? Although I'm sure it is almost impossible to tell them apart.
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It's unfortunately impossible to tell them apart except for hey look..there's the big male..or hey there's the little female..etc.
                  ~Erin
                  10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Weird... I have 16 neons in my tank with Angels... they leave the angels alone and the angels leave the neons alone...though I have had only 1 neon meraculously disappear...
                    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I would move the Danios. Odds are they are the culprits and not the Tetra school. Danios and Angels rarely work out.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

Not to sound mean but I only use zebra danio's to help cycle tanks... for some reason I'm not like aww one died... I'm like hmmm wonder why and test...other than that I don't even like them really...

~Anthony

Comment

No, that was a plan to move the Danios out of the 29g, into the 55g, to be able to move the angels to the 29g till they got bigger. There are no danios in the 55g. 55g only has emperor tetras, angels, bn pleco and ghost shrimp.
                          ~Erin
                          10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Weird maybe they did get nipped or possible nipped each other...

~Anthony

Comment

Yeah, I definitely know it's not Rasp at least, I just watched her wiggle very carefully and slowly towards them whereas she charges anything else lol

I'm going to keep them in the 55 for now and see if their fins get any worse.
                              ~Erin
                              10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Working...
                              X