Rotkeil Severum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotkeil Severum

Well... my partner in crime and I were bad and got some Rotkeil Severums. Cichlidnut ordered 4 and I ordered 2. I got 8! My first thought when I counted them, "Yay! More baby severums to photograph." My second though, "I'm so not sharing these with Cichlidnut" lol. BUT they are extremely cute so I don't think I'll give Cichlidnut one of my two extras. He doesn't have space anyway :lol:. Or at least.. that's my excuse until he proves me wrong.

Anyway, these babies were collected straight from the wild! A friend of mine went on a collection trip not too long ago and his group came across a spawning pair of large Rotkeil which a HUGE cloud of babies. Seeing them spawning in the wild is very rare apparently. He said there were at least 2,000 fry. He collected about a hundred babies so he could try and raise F0 Rotkeils. He was successful! He said that they were probably only a couple days into the free swimming stage. He had a special holding tank set up with constant BBS feeding and good replication of their natural environment for their trip back to Europe. He said around 70% of the fry have survived till now and are all doing well. I'd guess the ones I got are bigger than quarter size but not by much.

And to close my little gloating post where I get to show off my new babies, I have NO pictures!! Well.. technically I do but I can't upload them hehe. So y'all will have to wait.
    -Jonathan

Re: Rotkeil Severum

Such a tease!!! I was reading the entire post, got intrigued, interested and read the part of no pictures....

Email Nut the pictures and he will post it.

Comment

Don't you ever get tired of stirring up trouble? You know the pixies are going to get you one day!

Congrats on the sevs. Looking forward to hearing updates about their growth and your progress with raising and breeding them.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
        Don't you ever get tired of stirring up trouble? You know the pixies are going to get you one day!

Congrats on the sevs. Looking forward to hearing updates about their growth and your progress with raising and breeding them.
        Nope.. not really lol. It's constantly amusing. I had already paid for these guys months ago when my friend first collected them. Thank you!
        Originally posted by AmazonPassion
        Such a tease!!! I was reading the entire post, got intrigued, interested and read the part of no pictures....
        :lol: That was the whole point of writing the long paragraph!
        -Jonathan

Comment

I think Rogue just want's to make me suffer. He's cruel like that
          Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

And not ashamed of it in the least :mrgreen:
            -Jonathan

Comment

Well... I decided I'd give you guys a picture. Pretty active for 2:30 am lol.

-Jonathan

Comment

They're so little <3

Are they eating commercial foods or they on live?

I forgot to ask, do you know what river system they came from? what area?

Thanks for the picture!
                Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

They're eating flakes, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, and BBS. They are readily accepting live food but apparently they will eat prepared food.

Hm.. I do know lol. I'll have to look up the name haha.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

I love baby fish pictures...it is like looking at puppy pictures

Comment

oh sure lol gloat about the fish and then give us just one picture, that just aint nice man.

Congrats on getting some true F0's thou!
                      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Well the jerks, as I've begun to refer to them, are now allowed free reign in my 75g with angelfish. They kept getting through my divider to steal food from the angels.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

That sounds about right! What did you use to divide the tank? I use Egg Crate cut to the size of the tank and cover the edged with 1/2 inch tubing sold for RV water lines. Works great when you cut the egg crate correctly.
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

That's exactly what I did lol. They turn sideways and get through the square holes. I have no idea how! They look WAY to big.
                            -Jonathan

Comment

hahaha yeah sounds about like pain in the neck fish. try some smaller mesh over it for the time being and you should be fine.
                              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X