29 gallon Angelfish breeder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 gallon Angelfish breeder

I'm planning on setting up a 29 gallon Angel breeder. I wanted opinions on if I should leave this bare bottom or should I put substrate. I was planning on going just bare bottom, would there be advantages in substrate and or plants?
    Information about Duplicate Posts

Re: 29 gallon Angelfish breeder

Will you be removing the fry or letting the parents raise them? Substrate or not is a personal choice, but here's some things to consider.....

1. With no decor and no substrate some angels are not comfortable and take longer to pair off and spawn
    2. Having substrate makes it impossible to find the lost fry. Thus water parameters can be very challenging
    3. Will you be adding a breeding slate? With no substrate you will need another means to anchor it so it doesn't move or fall during spawning

I have 2 tanks. One that holds the parents includes substrate, but only because it was already in the tank. And I have a piece of driftwood with a few java ferns. It is used as a makeshift divider so the parents can get away from each other when needed. Plus they like to use the plant for rearing.

My other tank I bare bottom, but it includes rocks and other plastic items that have plants attached. This tank is currently holding fry that are almost 2 months old. I cannot imagine this tank having substrate! I struggle keeping it clean with my busy work schedule.

Hopefully others will come along who have different experiences to share.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I was going to try a couple of terracotta pots, standing upside down. Much cheaper. I'm torn on whether I should try letting the parents raise the fry of if I should remove them. I'd love to make that work.

Comment

Originally posted by Cichlidnut
        I was going to try a couple of terracotta pots, standing upside down. Much cheaper. I'm torn on whether I should try letting the parents raise the fry of if I should remove them. I'd love to make that work.
        It will take some patience for parent raising with angels. Most take a handful of tries and a few never get it. But if you are successful, what a joy!
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I would go with a barebottom tank personally. I fixed the problem of angels being scared of the bare bottom by painting it a dark color. Normally I used black or dark brown. I've also used mix tan and brown before.
          -Jonathan

Comment

That's a good idea! I might paint the sides too!

Comment

Here is my take on things. I haven't bred Angels "yet" but i will soon.

However, I do remember what my mother use to say about her "Prize Angels" growing up, provide lots of plants and they will be happy, they will make babies.

I remember one tank with one of her pairs and she would have a large plant in the tank to make them feel comfortable.

Comment

That was very good advice from your mother CJ!
                - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                X