Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.5 Gallon Tank as an Angel Egg Hatchery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 Gallon Tank as an Angel Egg Hatchery?

I might pull the eggs tonight, would a 3.5 gallon tank be good enough for an angel egg hatchery? it will have a seeded sponge filter and heater or should I wait till tomorrow and setup a 25g tank and try to get these two to do parent raising?

Re: 3.5 Gallon Tank as an Angel Egg Hatchery?

Congratulations on an angel spawn....and so soon!

Yes, your small tank would make a great hatchery and very early grow out tank. I have used much smaller! You will need to move the fry in a couple of weeks to something larger.

Please post pictures of the parents and of the eggs. Are these the DD Black who spawned?

Best of luck!
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Okay, I will use the 3.5g. Do I treat it like any other tank do weekly WC? I'm assuming I want to fill it with the water in my 100g.

I've posted a video in this thread of the DD Black Angelfish parents and eggs on the Anubias leaf.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64

Comment

I saw the video after my post above.

Yes, fill with treated water. Make sure there is sufficient water current so the eggs always have fresh water moving over them. Once the eggs hatch in a couple of days, then begin doing small daily water changes. Then 5 days after they hatch they will begin to go free swimming. This is when the real fun begins. Daily water changes without catching the fry! I use airline tubing and a 5G bucket so I can check the water carefully before dumping it.
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Majority of the eggs turned white. I'm thinking they weren't fertilize properly.

Now, I know what to do the next time they spawn. I decided to use a 2.5 g tank instead.

Comment

It is possible that the male is too young to fertilize them.
            Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Originally posted by Cichlidnut
              It is possible that the male is too young to fertilize them.
              I was thinking the very same thing. In fact, this is what has been occurring to me with the Blue Smokeys and Smokey Pinoys. I have a hard time accepting that all the males are sterile in that group!
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
              X