Is this a malformed dorsal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a malformed dorsal?

This is one of my Blue Zebra Widefins, it has grown alot, becoming one of my largest. Along with the rest of its body the dorsal has grown quite huge, so huge I'm concerned it may be considered malformed as it kind of ruffles up when not fully flared.

I would hate to have to cull this fish...........I'm kidding! But I definitely don't want it breeding if it's considered malformed. Thanks for your input.

__________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

If the top half has its own angle when its lowered then yes... BEAUTIFUL Angel though... and honestly I think it adds personality... my cobalt "castle has the extra angle
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

I was a judge for the ACA in the angelfish division the last time the national meeting was in Atlanta. The curvature of the dorsal rays would have been points off for this fish.
      The old that is strong, does not wither.

Comment

It's defective - I'll take it - just kidding. I think he is still a beautiful fish.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Oh indeed, it is a VERY nice fish. Just not one I would personally be leery of using in a breeding program.

Comment

Thanks all! I really appreciate the input. It may very well end up with one of you guys!

Originally posted by Dino Claus View Post
            Oh indeed, it is a VERY nice fish. Just not one I would personally be leery of using in a breeding program.
            To be clear, you would be leery of using the fish in a breeding program, is that correct?

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Well, I would be the oddball... because I'm actually trying for the angle... flagtop angel

~Anthony

Comment

Yes I would. Liner rays are the dominate gene. Curved rays being visible means that this fish carries 2 copies of the recessive gene, so future generations have a higher chance of having curved rays as well. As a side note, there are some environmental factors that can also cause this, such as crowding and too low of a protein diet. Do you have others from the same spawn? And do they display the same thing?

Comment

I have 5 others from the same spawn, none with this condition. He started exhibiting it as he grew in a 65g with one other angel and small fish. They all received the same diet and care so I am leaning towards a double dose of the gene.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I'm not a fan of pearl scale BUT I would love to have one of your Angels!

~Anthony

Comment

I believe this is a genetic issue as well.

Comment

He is still gorgeous and it makes him special
                        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Thanks Sarah

I'm not getting rid of him just yet Anthony!

In anyone's experience is it common for this to show later in the angels development? I didn't notice anything until approximately 7 months old.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Castle my cobalt was like that right from the get go...

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                              Castle my cobalt was like that right from the get go...
                              Do you know how old he was when you got him?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X