Quest for clean Gene's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for clean Gene's

I am working with a group of Phillipine Blue's purchased from a breeder, descended from Ken Kennedy's lines. While they are very beautiful fish, I imagine they have been pretty worked over in the inbreeding department and am operating under the assumption I will only be able to inbreed for 1 or 2 generations if that.

My question is this, knowing that Philippine blues came from Kennedy not that long ago, would purchasing a fish with a single dose from a different breeder revitalize my breeding pools genes? Would a double dose do the same? I really want to work with blues and am a rookie at this so would appreciate some clarification. Mainly, has 8 years or so of the pb phenotype been enough for other keepers to have pb's that would revitalize my gene pool. Thanks in advance
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Obtaining fish from different breeders will be your best bet....unless you are willing to breed them with wild angels.

As nearly everyone I know is working with wild and/or blue angels I don't believe you have to be any more concerned than usual. Every few generations add an unrelated fish to revitalize the line and avoid defects.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Thanks so much Dena, that covers it well.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Perfect excuse for new fishies
        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
        X