Angel eggs/fry rearing questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel eggs/fry rearing questions

So, the same paired that spawned a couple weeks ago spawned again today.

I am leaving the eggs in the tank for 24 hours and if I notice the eggs aren't white, I will be transferring them to a either a 5.5 or 10g tank with a seeded sponge filter. Now, my question is...

When should I set up the TOM TM1198 Aquarium Hatch N' Feeder Brine Shrimp Hatchery ? I've never used it before.

Here is the link to it: http://www.amazon.com/TM1198-Aquarium-F ... ery+kit%3F

Re: Angel eggs/fry rearing questions

I have a couple of those in tank hatcheries!

Brine shrimp take about 24 hours to hatch, on average. And the fry should be fed 24 hours after they go free swimming. To ensure that the BBS hatch, I start the batch about 12 hours before I expect the fry to go free swimming.

Knowing that the spawn occurred today, Thursday, October 18
    Estimated hatching will occur in ~48 hours, so Saturday, October 20
    Then another 5 days until free swimming, so next Thursday, October 25

Start the hatchery on next Wednesday, October 24th

First feeding should occur very late Thursday or Friday morning.

You may also want to set up a separate hatchery with 2 liter bottles as a backup, unless you have more than one of those hatcheries. Otherwise, your fry will go without food when you need to refresh the hatchery.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Thanks a bunch on the information and giving the exact dates as well.

Comment

You are welcome. I figured the dates would help get you started with the timeline. But always figure 2 days after spawning for the eggs to hatch and become wrigglers; and another 5 days after that for free swimming.

Good luck!
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Hey,

Great advice from Dena, as usual. I also recommend that hatchery. I fully intend to buy one when my fish start spawning.
          -Jonathan

Comment

The eggs all turned white withing the 24 hours so I didn't bother moving them to a separate tank. Now I am prepared when they spawn for the third time.

Comment

Turning white in 24 hours indicates they were not fertilized. Many times a young male will not get the job done.
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Your pair is very young. It may take more than 3 tries. I've read that If your pair starts breeding too early, the female will stop producing eggs at a younger age. That's what the people over at Angelsplus say anyways.
                Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

I haven't noticed that, but Steve from AngelsPlus has bred thousands more angels than I have!!

My Blue Smokey and Smokey Pinoy angels are going through the very same thing. The eggs are not being fertilized. They have spawned several times over the past 4 months. I watched one pair breed and saw the male make several passes over the eggs. These angels are now about a year old. I am hoping that their next spawns are viable. Otherwise I will have to take my females and start pairing them with other males and deal with crosses.

Anyway, just sharing my experience. Watch your pair breed to make sure the male is making passes. I once had a pair with the male would forget to fertilize the eggs because he was too busy chasing the tank mates away.
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Males do take longer to mature than females so you have to take that into consideration. A lot of factors do come into play when laying as well. Tank flow, light, surroundings, etc can all effect if the eggs are fertilized properly.
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                    X