Angelfish Eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelfish Eggs

2 of my angels finally paired up. The smaller of the 2 males that were squabbling won out. When I got up yesterday morning, there were eggs all over one of the filter intakes. Both parents are defending it for all they're worth. The rest of the angels have all been relegated to the other side of the tank. It's like if they cross past a certain piece of wood the daddy goes sideways and just body slams the intruder back to the other side.

There aren't as many eggs this morning as there were yesterday before lights out. The place where they laid them is in a spot that is hard to get to and I don't want to disrupt them too much so I am letting nature take its course this time around. I did manage to scrape off about 3 or 4 eggs and put them in the floating fish hatchery I have in there, but the parents started getting real upset and I was afraid they would eat the ones I couldn't get to so I stopped.

Do you think they will hatch in the hatchery or do they have to be attached to something?

On the plus side, I showed them to my husband and he actually got excited. He said to put the parents into another tank for next time. I told him that all I had was 5 gallon tanks and I needed at least a 40 to do that. He said if that's what you have to do, then do it. I almost fell over.

Daddy

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1215 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	141545

Mommy, with eggs

Name:	IMG_1211 (2).jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	141546
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Congratulations on the spawn. Don't expect survivors in a community tank. The stress will get to the parents. Eventually the eggs will be eaten.

Yay, another excuse for a tank. Always a good thing
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Congratulations Lori and well done to the fish

So when are you getting your new tank?
      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
        Congratulations Lori and well done to the fish

So when are you getting your new tank?
        He was all enthusiastic last night, but today might be a different story. Because I am currently unemployed and my unemployment barely covers gas money, I will probably have to wait until he gets his next draw from the job he is doing now - about 3 weeks from now. But I do have everything else I could possibly need so the tank will be the only expense. Maybe when the time comes, I can find a deal on Craigslist.
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I know from experience you will have lots of opportunities with Angel eggs for years to come. Who knows, you might see a free tank on CL one of these days

Comment

Congrats on the new pair
            -Jonathan

Comment

Apparently my other black angel is also a female because she and the male who lost out last week are cleaning off another of my filter intakes. I feel bad for the other 4. They are going to be cramped in a very small section if this pair is as defensive as the other pair is.
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                He was all enthusiastic last night, but today might be a different story. Because I am currently unemployed and my unemployment barely covers gas money, I will probably have to wait until he gets his next draw from the job he is doing now - about 3 weeks from now. But I do have everything else I could possibly need so the tank will be the only expense. Maybe when the time comes, I can find a deal on Craigslist.
                Maybe contact the person you got the 125 from they had another if I remember maybe they've still got it
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

So now the other pair has laid eggs one of the other filter intakes. This one is on the left side of the tank. The other eggs are on the right side.

Here are a couple of pics:

Daddy (torn fin is from fighting with other male)

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	137505

Mommy

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	137506

Even though it is a 150 gallon tank, there isn't much room left for the other 4 angels. Should I put them in the 75 or would it be overkill on that tank and stress the angels out too much. This pair is also proving to be very defensive of their eggs and everybody else is kind of huddled in the middle.
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

You can always scrape the eggs off and that will stop the aggression and territorial behavior

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion View Post
                      You can always scrape the eggs off and that will stop the aggression and territorial behavior

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                      Do you think that if I scraped them off and put the eggs in the floating hatchery, they stand a chance of hatching?
                      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Hatch rate is low due to damage caused by removal....but it could be done. Another option would be to replace the intake tube.
                        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                        Socrates

Comment

I thought about replacing the intake tube but I don't have one to put in its place. I guess I will just sit back and see what happens - not an easy thing for me to do.
                          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Congrats! I hope you get some fry from this spawn!

Comment

Congrats on both spawns that's awesome, so both pairs are in a 125? What other fish are in there?
                              If you keep your eye on CL I have gotten a almost complete 29 for 15$ and a bare 29 for 15$ & another bare 29 for 10$ and have gotten three tanks for free off CL, but any ways good luck with the new angel parents they are very pretty would be awesome to see their offspring,
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X