Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My discus

Hey guys,

Today my discus are acting very strange. I turn on my bedroom light in the morning and go for breakfast, I then come back and tun on the tank light and go for a shower then cone back and feed the tank.

This morning when I turned on the tank light a few of the discus freaked out and started flapping around and almost jumped out of the water and swam into the glass, then the ones that freaked out lay completely still, fins barely moving.

I left them for a few hours and went to go feed, usually they come up to the glass and top of the tank but there was barely a reaction, they did eat but not as fast as usual.

Then as I went to go do my daily water change tonight as I walked up to the tank they all freaked out again, flapping and swimming into the glass, it was really violent and I am seriously worried. They never have had this sort of reaction before, sometimes they would swim behind a plant if I moved quickly, but would come out again in no time when they saw it was me or that I was feeding them...

Anyway I'm skipping the water change today and I have turned the lights off for the night now.

Does anyone have any ideas on why they are so afraid now? It is totally out of the ordinary, they eat out of my hand daily and have always seemed quite happy.

My water parameters are the same as always and I have not added anything new in to the tank

0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    15/20 nitrate

(My tap water has 10/15ppm nitrate)

I am considering selling them as I feel it must be something to do with my bedroom that has freaked them out lately, again there has been no changes but it's the only thing I can think of...

If anyone can give me some advice it'd be great, I have a feeling i just need to see if they calm down but if not I will have to re home them.

Also when I just checked a second ago I saw that they had not eaten all of the food I put in, I barely put in any and usually they would have it gone in about a minute.. it's been about 2 hours since I fed them...
    Last edited by aFISHionado; 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM.
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Hello Al I'm sorry I'm not much help I've never kept discus although they are very pretty. I just wanted to say I hope they calm down for you. Has there been any changes? Is there any building work going on near by that could be making loud noises or vibrations that are freaking them out?
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Sorry to hear about your discus Alan. I think you just freaked them out. Sometimes it takes them a while to wake up. Was the room dark when you turned on the lights?
      -Jonathan

Comment

No I turn on the room light about 10 minutes before I turn on the tank light, it's just never happened before, I am worried about heart attacks. Should I leave the lights off tomorrow and not feed or should I try again as usual tomorrow?

The only thing that makes a loud noise is opening the velux windows but they have never reacted badly to it before... I really have no idea why they are so afraid today! Thanks for the replies
        Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 02-23-2013, 02:04 PM. Reason: Merged back to back posts, please use the edit button-thanks
        When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Maybe something just made them jump I would leave it for today and try again tomorrow maybe they will have settled by then

Comment

Yes I will, thanks

Just is upsetting to see, especially the swimming into glass, a huge sign of stress... Really do not want to keep any fish that goes through that kind of stress under my care

Comment

Sometimes fish are skittish it could be anything that has made them jump not necessarily anything you have done. It could have been a loud noise or wierd sunlight, strong wind outside an open window.

Don't lose heart you take very good care of your aquatic babies and are doing the best for them

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried. Try again tomorrow and see what happens.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Hang in there Al. You take very good care of those guys, don't get down on yourself.

Did you test your tap for changes? Ph in particular?
                  __________________________________________________ _____
                  Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                  110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I didn't test my tap water, good idea thanks.

Thank you all for the replies

Comment

How's everything today Al?

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Not great buddy...

Just turned on the room light, and sat on the couch to watch them, after about 4 minutes one of them freaked out and started flapping around, it only lasted about 2 seconds but still nothing brought it on so I'm worried...

Comment

Well, thats better than all of them and it was brief at least. Did you check your tap and are they hungrier this morning?

This may sound weird but do you have a tv in that room? I was qt'ing some fish in my M bedroom and when the lights were off I had to cover the tank if I wanted to watch tv, the flashing lights freaked them out.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I do have a tv in the room, but they have never reacted badly before.

I will cover the tank at lights out from now on, both times they freaks out the tv wasn't on but covering is still definitely a good idea

Oh ny god I am the worst fish keeper in the world.

I just noticed that my extension cord had been pulled about a cm out and was no longer getting power.

My fish have been without a filter or heater for almost two days.

My tank is at 16 degree, they were at 28 my fish look so sick, how could I be so stupid not to check that stuff.

I'm certain they are all going to die.
                            Last edited by RogueAgent94; 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Comment

Oh no!! I'm so sorry Al. I would definitely plug the filter in; plug the heater in, but turn the temp down so that it takes longer for the temp in the tank to rise. Then when it's at the set temp, raise it back to what you had it at before. Personally I would wait until the temp is back to normal before doing any water changes, but others may disagree with me. Hopefully they pull through!

Comment

Working...
                              X