Discus Schooling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus Schooling?

Okay...so a few of you told me to get 6 of these guys because they group together/school.... well I did pick up another one but I was suppose to get two BUT they held the wrong one and sold my red discus that they were suppose to hold... ( still they ordered me another).... well my two discus don't seem to like each other staying on complete opposite ends of my tank AND if they get close to each other they nip at each other...

What's going on?
    Last edited by AquaAnt; 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM.
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Just territory disputes. They'll be best buddies soon enough. Once you get your third Discus try to rearrange the tank a bit to break up the territories.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Well if they school together, I don't get why they would have territory disputes...

~Anthony

Comment

Cause they are cichlids. They are schooling fish but they are cichlids still. Just like Tilapia, they love the company of one another and don't do well without a group up buddies but they still like to beat up on the new guy or the smallest guy. There will be constant small disputes but once they get to know each other they should be alright with one another.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Pretends to be a discus ... Hi I'm a discus and I love company but CHOMP... But I like you lol

~Anthony

Comment

this is common for discus... they are after all cichlids when i was adding mine in slowly they fought until i had 6 of them, most experts say 10 is the minimum you should have but I think 6 can be okay depending on how they get on, you will know in time. Mine still nip at each other sometimes if there is food involved lol ;p when i added in my second discus he got really badly bullied until i added in the others... they do not like new fish, I suggest moving around the decor in your tank so they can all lay claim to their resting spots at the same time so no one is taking any one elses spot
            When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Well, I have one more on back order... I like the way my tank is arranged...boo to redecorating lol, not really but a little...

~Anthony

Comment

Usually when I need to change up the territory in my tank temporary, I would shove some vine looking driftwood or buy some cheap plants (usually anacharis) and put them in terra cota pots as a temporary solution.
                Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Hey temporary removable plants, what an excellent idea!

~Anthony

Comment

in all honesty, Discus are not a schooling fish. they enjoy each others company and love to be in big groups, but do not neccesarily school as a normal schooling fish would. the recommendation comes from
                    the fact that with a bigger group they are less stressed and feel more comfortable. thus swim around with each other as they want to stay together and not neccesarily school together. someone will get picked on,
                    no doubt about that.
                    -Tom

Comment

I got one now that is all stressed out and now has some white junk on its body which seems to also have gotten onto his pectoral fin where it touches the body... what do you think it could be?

BTW... good to see you tom, its been a minute

~Anthony

Comment

Discus are a hard fish to keep no doubt, my discus actually do school a lot of the time, they will swim in the same direction in a close knit fashion. I would agree though that they mainly just want the company and don't always swim as a unit. There was a massive difference in when I had two in my tank to when I had six... Certain family circumstances have limited my cash as of late but my plan is to get eight in total. Discus like company and like to squabble, it is in their nature, think of them like siblings, they fight all the time but would hate to be apart
                        When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

LoL... honestly my new one was getting stressed and started getting a white fuzz on its side...its clearing up now though... no issues because I separated them... they are very small in my eyes so I'll keep them apart a little longer until I get at least 1 more... I truly love them they have such a cute look to them...

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
                          X