Kribs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kribs

So I was just checking over my 33long, which was deemed the river tank due to design and stock.

Current stock is

5 Gold barbs (kinda helped to start the tank and give a nice pop of color)
    2 Orange Danios
    2 Pearl Danios (pitty purchase from my LFS as they were the last two in the tank for over a month, but hey they were $1 for the pair lol)
    5-7 Purple Passion danios (Not glo danios)
    5 Glow light danios, really awesome colors
    2 Kribs (1M 1F)
    Unknown quanitty of Hillstreams, last known count was 4
    1 Olive Nerite.

So Today I went to check out the tank as I dont spend alot of time with this tank thou it is really cool looking. I happened to notice the female Krib was ALOT more purple than usual. BTW she is usually very deep purple with some very deep pink edging around her belly (Reminds me of a good bruise lol) Anyways, I happened to see her kinda hidding behind a rock which had been a spot I had seen her in the past but usually she didnt hang out for so long in one spot. Then I saw it, a whole cluster of free swimming babies on the flat rock right below her! Has to be a good 20+ little fish.

As I stood there one of the gold barbs decided to make a pass by mamma. Dad came over to watch the babies for a moment almost as if he was beconned into the area lol. The female then went to the other end of the tank and proceded to nip each gold barb once in the pectroal fin and then calmly swim back to gaurd duty. The gold barbs are now currently petrified and huddled together in the corner of the tank lol. The danios seem to be fine as long as they stay at the surface of the water. She did make a stop up top on her way back and gave chase to a few Purple passions on her way back.

So yay, now I will understand Dena's pain lol
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Re: Kribs

Congrats and Condolences!! Watch your other fish closely. My kribs killed many smaller fish as well as a Bolivian Ram; and almost killed my 2nd ram when I called it quits.

Kribs have such good parenting skills that you will be inundated even in a community environment.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Any videos/pics of this tank?

Unfortunately they don't sell 33g longs here, they have to be special ordered.

Comment

Nothing yet, but Vid will be coming, aparently I must have annoyed them with the one pic I tried to take with my phone and the flash went off.

So far all is well with the other fish but time will tell on that one. I dont know where I can put anyone if they decide to get unruley.

The only thing I kinda worry about is feeding the little buggers.
        -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

If your tank is planted, you shouldn't need to worry about feeding the krib fry. I never once added anything specific for the fry and look at how many I ended up with!!!
          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Actually this is the one tank that really doesnt have any plants in it as of yet. ITs my cooler water tank so I was waiting to get some specific plants. Right now all it has is some salvinia floating around and a lilly bulb that has a bunch of small shoots on it.

There are fake plants and such but not really anything live.
            -Jim-

Comment

Is there any diatoms on the fake plants or other items? That's what my krib fry ate. Plenty of it at the base of plants along with any uneaten foods that got trapped.
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

If mom lets them go picking there are a few areas where un eaten food gathers that I dont really get all that well vaced out due to its a pain in the rear to get to them.
                -Jim-

Comment

You will probably find them in that area then.
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

yeah she keeps moving them around to those areas haha There back to about where they were yesterday when I noticed them, just one rock over.
                    -Jim-

Comment

These guys are getting big, some of them are almost up to an inch long and are starting to show some nice dark colors. The parents are starting to let the other fish have some more tank space to swim around in so they danois are much happier lol.

The other plus to this is that the owner of my LFS is VERY interested in seeing one once they get to be a bit older he was saying around 1.5-2 inches is where he would like them and is willing to either pay or do store credit and will keep taking them as long as they are healthy and will survive in the tanks. He is very happy they are home bred and said that they will do much better in his tanks than the stuff he buys which is why he hasnt been getting them in lately. Yay me!
                      -Jim-

Comment

That's great! So long as he can move them then you'll have a good resource for the fry.
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Thats my goal, I would really like to get the three pairs breeding about a month or two apart so that I always have a batch coming out to try and sell lol
                          -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                          X