Bringing Popeye to the vet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Popeye to the vet

So I was talking to my cat's vet about Popeye's jaw. She recommended a fish vet that is actually super close to where I live. I decided to make an appointment for Popeye to see if there is anything that the vet could do for her. Has anyone brought a fish to the vet before? I will be taking a taxi since I don't have a car. I was just wondering how I should go about doing this xD

If it was me, I would put some tank water in something like a Tupperware container, add Popeye, put on the lid and then put it in an insulated bag. I don't know if that's the right way to do it, but it's what I would do.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Maybe put her in as big of a tupperware container you have, and then in a cooler? They sell styrofoam ones at the grocery store for pretty cheap. And put some Prime and fish protector if you have it in the water.

Comment

okay so I got a tupperware that can fit inside of a cooler. I also picked up a 5.5g tank at petsmart T___T it was only $24 for the kit how could I say no to it. I can use it as a hospital tank for her

Comment

Okay I just got back from the vet. Popeye some how broke the top part of her maxilla and it inverted inside of her mouth. The vet was able to pop her mouth back out but it quickly went back in. She said that she could either reduce the amount of mouth that is going inwards by surgery or she could see about attaching it to the outside so it could heal outwards. But at this point she doesn't recommend either since Popeye is still able to eat and is breathing normally. She said other than the broken jaw Popeye is a really healthy fish

Comment

It stinks that she can't really fix her, but it's good to know that she is a healthy fish. So I guess you just let it heal on its own?
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Yah the vet just wants to leave it unless it starts to cause a problem. She said that the surgery itself, chance of infection, and anesthetic all out weighed the benefits of her fixing it

Comment

If it heals funny you might have to change her name from Popeye to Jaws .
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Well the character Popeye has a funny mouth too so I think it works for her

Comment

That's awesome! So she just reached her hand inside the tupperware? That's super cool, now I want to be a fish vet (I was planning on doing vet school, but it's too darn expensive.)

Comment

That's awesome you found a fish vet I could have done with one of those.

I'm glad to hear Popeye is healthy apart from her poorly mouth I'm sure she will heal well
                      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Yep she wore gloves so she wouldn't wipe off the slime coat. She got a good hold on her but I didn't see how she popped out her mouth because she took Popeye back to an examination room

Comment

Working...
                        X