Blood Parrots Getting Aggressive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Blood Parrots Getting Aggressive

Well, I guess my blood parrots are finally maturing. They have grown a bit in the last month or so. They used to be very passive and never bothered anyone. Even the fry that managed to hide in the bushes, so to speak, were safe from them. But I noticed today that they are starting to really assert themselves. They ganged up and killed a sword fry that almost an inch long. And they are starting to chase almost everything that is smaller than they are. I'm afraid my neons might be next.

They are in my 75 gallon tank right now with 2 of the angels from the 150 (they were getting picked on too much so I moved them), some mollies, swordtails, a bunch of cories, a clown pleco and the neons.

Should I put the parrots in the 150 with the other 6 angels? I have some mollies, a couple of big swordtails, some black skirt tetras, a red serpae tetra, 2 BN plecos, a bunch of cories and some mystery snails. Would they be better off there or will they wreak havoc in that tank also?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

I have to wonder if they have a reason to strike out in the 75g? My JD was always peaceful until the convict was picking on him. Now she's afraid of him because he had to prove himself boss.

The move will certainly slow them down for a bit. I think larger fish will certainly be able to hold up better than fish your BPs can just swallow whole. At the very least you can try it, and just keep a close eye out.
    -Mike

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

Forum Rules

Comment

I haven't added anyone new to the tank and I haven't changed anything except to add a java fern to a piece of driftwood that they never use.I have perpetually pregnant mollies and swords and they have always eaten the fry but now they are targeting the bigger ones which they have never done before. Usually after the fish reaches about an inch they would leave them alone.
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Ah, that might be it exactly. Once cichlids have live food they usually start to prefer it. If they just had a growth spurt then they'll be looking for larger live food than they had before. :/
        -Mike

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

Forum Rules

Comment

If it weren't for the fact that I am afraid the angels would eat the neons, I would move them and let the parrots have the 75. Gonna have to sit and ponder this dilemma for a while. Almost sounds like a lose/lose for the neons and I don't have another tank to put them in.
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
          X