Cardinals Exploding eyeballs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals Exploding eyeballs

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I didn't see a disease forum.

Bear with me guys this'll be a somewhat long story. About a month and a half ago I got a batch of 10 or so cardinals from my lfs, they were wild caught. Upon getting them into qt I noticed one was completlely missing an eye, just an empty socket. Of the 10, 8 were small juvies and then 2 larger adults. The second adult was in serious distress after intro to the qt (dripped for and hour). I ended up culling both adults and chalked up the distressed disoriented one to a rough trip and the missing eye to damage during capture or transport.

The remaining juvies finished their stint in qt, I kept them in 3 weeks, and were then moved to 15g display with a betta and a few other cardinals he had been living with. Shortly after, my betta began to bloat a bit. I began fasting and feeding peas with no improvements after a week. Then low and behold, I turn on the light one morning and one of the larger cards that had been liviin with the betta was missing an entire eye, I had not noticed any symptoms prior. He is still eating and acting normally so hes still in there. Then 2 days ago I notice another cardinal with a very swollen eye, it looks like hes gonna lose it. Both of these fish had been living with the betta about 4 or 5 months so I am fairly sure its something that came in with the new cards.

Everybody is still eating and I was already doing daily to every other day pwcs for the bettas bloat which is what I would do for popeye. I have been supplementing their nls thera+a with Zoecon for about a week as well. I think I have a nasty bacteria in here and would like confirmation and medication recommendations. Parameters are 0,0,<20 normally, nitrate is down from pwcs. ph 7.6 temp 80-81F

As far as the history of the betta cohabitating with the cardinals, in the time hes been with them I have never seen him even acknowledge the prescense of his tankmates much less be aggressive, even at feeding he doesn't bother chasing them off, he just goes about his business as if they weren't there. Now I know just because I haven't witnessed it doesn't mean there hasn't been any, it would just be pretty hard to convince me thats the issue all things considered.

Thanks for at least reading this novel if nothing else!
    Matt
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Re: Cardinals Exploding eyeballs

If you suspect bacterial infection I would lower the temp to slow down its spread. And dose Maracyn I and II. I would also soak foods in garlic juice to help boost the immune system.

A disease forum is definitely needed!
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dena, Since I have to treat the display do you think it would be worth just hoping its gram positive and using maracyn alone to try and save my bio filter? If I understand those meds correctly the maracyn 2 will kill gram negative ie my bio filter while maracyn should only kill gram positive and leave my bb alone.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Personally I would save the sponge/bio media and use both. You don't know which will treat the disease.

Good luck with the direction you decide to take.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Understood, one question, when you say "save the sponge or bio media" wouldn't I be risking reintroduction of whatever this is by not including the media during treatment?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I agree with what Dena said. I'd go with both. However, as you mentioned, moving the sponge could result in moving the bacteria. Normally I scrap any media in a medicated tank and just introduce seeded media with TSS after the meds are over and cleaned out.
            -Jonathan

Comment

I agree with Jon on that one, if its a bacteria it could be colonized elsewhere and just partially hosting on the fish. Id do a full treatment and then restart the tank. TSS should do it for you, and if you have another tank around you can awlays borrow some of that media to jump start this one. Then again there is always the multiple daily water changes and do it the old fashioned way. Either way I would drop the temp and get some treatment going, can always hit marcyn 1 and see if it gets any better.
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Always have a backup to the backup seeded media.

Comment

Oh I've got backup on top of backup, I was more concerned with dealing with ammo during treatment but I'll just cut feedings and if necessary swap out water with fresh meds.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

theres always water changes as well.
                    -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Thats what I meant. It just sounded funny because I wanted to point out that I would be adding replacement meds to the new water.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

ah
                        -Jim-

Comment

Day three of maracyn 1&2 treatment. No change in symptoms but I had a quick question. One of the cards which is missing an eye does crazy spirals when hes waking up in the morning like he's lost all control. I try to slowly wake them up by turning on room lights before the tanks lights. The last 2 mornings when I turn the lights on he spirals all over like he can't control himself and then in a minute or two he seems normal again. All fish in the tank are still eating, not alot but some, the betta is still swollen but is having good bowel movements and seems as voracious as ever.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                          X