This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: HELP please Mordin has got popeye :(

Please help I have just noticed Mordin's left eye is bulging the little monkey never keeps still long enough for me to check him over and my dodgy eye I think I have just caught it though his eye was fine yesterday.

He has been sporting a lump on the other side of his face that has been healing from a collision with the filter the maniac whether the popeye is a result of this I'm not sure.

I have maracyn and maracyn 2 I have never used these before and don't know if I should use 1 of them or both or how to dose I'm a little freaked out its Mordin my baby all help and suggestions are welcome. His tank is 5 gallons and the medication is measured in the instructions for ten gallons

His water parameters are perfect and I did a water change yesterday and added some fish protector.

Will the maracyns kill Ezio and Altair I'm afraid it's a sacrifice I may have to make which I hope no one hates me for but unless they will live in an unheated unfiltered flower vase I have no where else to put them
    Last edited by Magoo; 03-06-2013, 12:49 PM.
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Oh my I am so sorry he keeps getting sick... I am not sure how to help but I know someone on here has experience with Popeye... Tell Motrin he better get well and stay well or else I'm going to come over there and woop him...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Lol thank you Sean I will Mordin has been fine apart from the lump and that was his own fault maybe he is annoyed Henry is getting all the attention.

I still haven't dosed yet I never use meds so I don't want to do it wrong

To top it off I was busy preparing dinner in bare feet and sliced the bottom of my foot open on a shard of glass took me ages to find the band aids and bled all over the floor

Comment

Jeez Sarah, sorry everythings going to heck at once I used maracyns before but not for popeye so I can't say for sure if they're the way to go. Recently, Zumi's betta Vlad got stuck in something and subsequently had a swollen eye where he got scraped. It went away with clean water and no meds if I recall. His injury was more obvious though because he was scraped on his face right next to the eye. Does Mordin have any similar marks?
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

It's possible he has hurt himself he does whizz around his tank when he gets excited which is most of the time but I didn't notice any other marks or bruises just a swollen droopy eye and his popped spot on the other side.

He does like to squeeze himself in with the plants.

I just don't know what to do I've had a horrible day and this and slashing my foot has just topped it off.

Henry has deteriorated also I think his age has finally caught up with him I'm so worried and sad

Comment

Aww when it rains, it pours I've read that if the popeye is only on one side, it's more likely from injury than infection. Especially since he's had a problem with an injury in the past, that sounds pretty probable to me. I did daily water changes with fish protector, and Vlad's popeye was gone in a few days.

Comment

I will try that first before getting out the meds thank you Kinezumi I will have to start tomorrow as my back is gone and my foot is still bleeding the joys of being aneamic.

He does seem to be his normal cheeky self he is currently fast asleep in his spiky moss bed with his tail sticking out he likes to bury himself in it the little weirdo

Comment

I'm heartbroken its not popeye it's dropsy Mordin has ballooned I'm just about to start treating with maracyn 2 his eye has almost gone back to normal but his tummy oh my his tummy

Comment

I'm sorry Sarah I'm glad his eye is back to normal, hang in there, I hope he responds to the med. I tried maracyn 1&2 combo for bloating in Lightning bolt but he passed, I hope Mordin's is from a bacterial cause and this nails it!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thank you Matt I am about to do a water change and then dose him I'm so sad

Comment

All you can do is your best He's in good hands, if you were near me and my betta got sick I'd send him to you to mend

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Wow, I'm really sorry Sarah . It sounds like your bettas have been giving you a lot of trouble lately! I hope he pulls through.
                        I wonder if your LFS's bettas are really inbred. This many diseases isn't common in good quality bettas.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

I hope it's not anything I have done have tested Mordin's water and it is
                          Ammonia 0.0ppm
                          Nitrate 0.0ppm
                          Nitrate 20ppm
                          Ph 7.0

So it's not his water maybe his injury got infected despite my best efforts

Henry is just old I think I have rarely seen him lately I fear he hasn't got long left.

I'm so worried about Mordin he is boss fish and he doesn't look happy at all. Although he still mustered the energy to come over to me and flare the monkey

Comment

LOL Sarah I wouldn't be worried about you doing anything. You are a very attentive fish keeper. I'm thinking poor genes were the cause. It's not uncommon for inbred bettas to get things like lumps, dropsy, etc.
                            -Jonathan

Comment

Sorry your Betta friend is still giving you trouble. I hope he pulls through too.
                              Christine

Comment

Working...
                              X