This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be fin rot?

So I went to petsmart and left with 2 beautiful boys but one I believe has some fin rot... Is it fin rot or am I making something out of nothing?

His top fin
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Fin rot will have a black discoloration on the edges of the fin. I am not sure if the coloring is the start of fin rot or if it is his coloring. The dorsal looks more like fin damage that is healing. I'd do daily water changes and feed garlic for a week. Most likely he will heal himself.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Alright I will have to go to the pet store Monday and buy some garlic guard... no one here will be open tomorrow... the top fin on Viola looks the tame as Sonata's so that's the only reason I ask...
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

U can make it at home...crush fresh raw garlic. Place in small container (shot glass, jelly jar). Cover with dechlorinated water. I wait an hour, but timing is really based on what works for you. Strain out garlic. Remaining water us now packed with garlic oil. Holds covered in the fridge for 3 days.

Grab a pack of the disposable plastic shot glass/portion cups (your work might have tgem) Great for prresoaking food, making garlic soak
        36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

I agree doesn't really look like fin rot but would monitor them really closely just to make sure.

Thank you Featherblue for posting how to make the garlic water I keep forgetting it can be made at home
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Oh okay thanks Blue! Mom just bought a whole bunch of fresh garlic so I will be sure to make some before I feed today :-)

so what I read it seems to be fin rot can be black, red, and white/clear... so it is possible he is going through some fin rot... I have added an Indian almond leaf to the two tanks and the garlic juice is stewing (the longer it sits does that make it stronger?) also I have some API pro guard series fungus cure which save the life of a walmart betta late last year if it doesn't get better in a week I will be using that as well...
            Last edited by RogueAgent94; 03-10-2013, 10:40 AM. Reason: Merged posts.
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Doesn't look like finrot to me. The IAL should pretty much take care of whatever it is. I'm a firm believer in that stuff lol. It can cure, or help cure, almost anything!
              -Jonathan

Comment

Well I'm still giving it a week
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                X