Tank stock: 36g
    3blue rasbora
    6 diamondhead tetra
    4 glo skirt tetra
    9 dwarf cories
    2german rams
    1 electric blue ram
    1 gold ram
    So I noticed a few spots on one of my new rams on Thursday. I immediately began cranking up the temp (degree an hour) from 81* up to 86*. Spots on the blue ram are gone completely now, and all but one on the gold. Neither German showed a spot. The rest of the tank is a totally different story.
    All the rasboras are coated. Both types of tetras have a few spots (less than 4 each). Haven't seen a spot on a cory, but their coloration may limit distinguishing spots from pattern.

What should I do? I'm gravel vac every other day, tempting refill to 86*. All tge food has been soaked in garlic since wed.

Why is everyone getting worse but the fish I noticed first? There were spots on only the blue and 2 on the good when I initially cranked the heat.

No inverts in this tank, so I could medicate......but the rams sensitivity makes ne really nervous with that idea
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

I got in a shipment of neons that got ich due to shipping (they came from a clean tank). I was told (maybe by Matt? don't remember) to turn up the heat to 88, that since 86 is the cutoff that it's best to aim for a bit above there to ensure you're at least at 86. It took a little while, over a week-ish, for the spots to go away.

I would guess that the ones you noticed first had the worst infestation, and the others only had a spot or two, so once you turned up the heat it was easier for them to heal. As they say, "five miles into the woods, five miles out." Since the rasboras were worst in the first place, it will likely take longer for them to be cured, too.

Comment

Pretty sure that's what happened here too. Happy healthy fish stressed with shipping....ick 5 days after they arrived.

So I should be ok with what I'm doing, just need to wait it out a little longer?

Why have the rasboras gotten so bad over the last 3 days? Gotta get worse to get better situation?

Edit: I'm measuring temp by thermometer, not the setting on the heaters. Both are set near 90* to get 86* in the tank
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Yeah, I would increase heat little more and monitor for stress. Make sure you have extra surface movement for O2.

Continue to do 30-50% water changes every other day with a vac every 2-3 days as well to pickup the the spores.

When the parasites are attached to the fish medication is not effective as they are protected from the fish's slime coat.

Dena has a great article on Curing Ich in the Library.
        Christine

Comment

I have a bubble curtain, an air driven sponge and a hob filter set to splash. Do I need more surface agitation or am I good?

Comment

I think you're good aeration wise. Here's a link to the ich write up. http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...l-Cure-for-Ich
            -Jonathan

Comment

Just finished rereading it

So fresh garlic is really the only thing extra I can do for the rasboras? The rest of their school died mysteriously when I got them, so I'm a little worried about their ability to fight this.

Comment

Just wanted to mention if its all your heaters can do to keep it at 86 you may want to get another. At 86 it'll speed the life cycle up to the encysted stage at which it tries to reproduce. Since most strains can't reproduce at 86 after awhile a week or so it will die normally. I would worry that if the temp dropped anywhere below 86 during this period the ich could reproduce and release free swimmers, starting you over again.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

If your fish have a severe outbreak it may be best to treat the worst with meds; and continue the sauna for the others to rid it from the tank.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

The rasboras didn't make it. They were fairly weak (random deaths after purchase), and I think the stress from the heat as well as the worst of the infection, was just too much.
                    Everyone else seems to be recoverying nicely. Less spots on the tetras today, no new ones on the gold. Hes still got his last lil spot on his forehead. About to do a 30% wc (been doing these every other day)....any other suggestions?

Comment

I'm sorry they didn't make it. Just keep the temps elevated, even the new water needs to be heated; offer fresh veggies and don't forget to use fresh garlic.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

Lost a diamond head over night......is the heat killing these guys or is it the ich? Will a lower temp work? The rest of the school is hiding in corning and just skipped breakfast

The rams look great.....lots of color, moving lots.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. I would only drop the temperature if the ich parasite has been eradicated from your tank you don't want to take the chance it may come back especially with your rams settling and colouring up so well
                          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Do I start my 2 wk timer by the day I increased heat or when every spot is gone?

Bummer to lose a few, but everyone left is looking alright so far

Comment

I would leave it another two weeks just to make sure the ich is all gone
                              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
                              X