This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Columnaris

I've had 4 corydoras habrosus die in my 20 gallon within a week. The first one, I thought was injured during a waterchange because it died suddenly and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. The next two died overnight and were consumed by mts snails by the next morning for the most part, so I couldn't tell what had killed them. I did a 50% waterchange after finding those two and then this morning noticed another that didn't act right and wasn't eating with the others. I put it in a breeders net to observe it and within 12 hours it was gone. It had a small lesion near its gills that was fuzzy when I found it dead. So, could this be columnaris? If so, should I just treat the whole tank with meds to be safe or just monitor closely? I'm freaking out a bit.

I'm sorry for your losses if it is columnaris you need to medicate the whole tank and if it is I really wish you luck.

Hopefully some more experienced members will drop by. Try not to freak out I know it's easy for someone else to say but we are here for you
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Thanks. It's frustrating because I've noticed more deaths in this tank the last few months but attributed it to possible old age of my various boraras. I didn't really know how old they were when I got them or how long they lived. But four cory's in one week is a wake up call for me. I've read that columnaris is always present in the tank and that treating the whole tank to rid it of it is not necessary, but I'd really rather not lose any more. All of the fish in this tank are so small that by the time I actually see a problem it's almost too late to treat.

Comment

Have your water parameters changed at all? Seems suspect that this started just after a change. The reason I ask is because this time of year my city water changes back to the springs and my fish suffer if I don't catch it in time.

If your parameters are stable, then odds are it is columnaris. I would remove the filter media to save the bacteria colony and purchase both Myracin 1 and 2. And dose both concurrently and drop the temps to the low 70s. If treated early enough it is possible to save most of the fish. If not, you could end up losing everything.

Another option would be to use a UV Sterilizer. If this is caused by a pathogen the UV might kill it off.

My battle with columnaris wiped out my 90G tank. I was left with only 2 angelfish because I didn't know what it was and didn't treat soon enough. Hopefully, you have caught this early enough!

Keep us posted.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

I found a dead boraras maculatas this morning. It had seemed ill earlier in the week. I also spotted another corydoras habrosus with a fuzzy growth on it's "belly". It's still swimming around fine, but I separated it to keep it from getting picked upon. I decided to treat the whole tank and added the full dose of maracyn 1, but only had part of a dose of maracyn 2. I'll head out to Petsmart later today when it opens. The temp is around 76. Should I lower it more? Also, I only have a petsmart nearby. I've seen their uv sterilizers, but has anyone heard if they're any good? I've seen some poor reviews. I can always order one if necessary, but it won't get here for a few days.

Question: I removed my bio media. Where should I put it? I don't want to put it in another tank in case it has been infected, but I don't want to lose it either. Suggestions?

Comment

Drain some tank water from a non infected tank into a bucket and throw in an airstone to keep the water moving and put your biomedia in there.
            ~Erin
            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I have heard good things about their Green Machine sterilizers. But have never used one.
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Any opinions on whether the meds or the uv sterlizer is the better choice?

Comment

Sorry this is happening.

I know using the UV will kill any bacterial nasties but won't kill if it is parastical in nature. I haven't used Maracyn before so I can't comment. I know some meds cant be used concurrently with UV sterilizers. Also, I would double check any meds you use with scaleless fish since they are the most sensitive with Meds.

Can you describe any symptons such as reddness around gills? Loss of appetite? Rapid breathing? Anything out of the norm from the inhabitants in your tank?

Comment

Symptoms vary. I've had two that lost their buoyancy and then died. Two that I found dead with no apparent distress and two that have had sudden fuzzy spots and then die within the day. My last boraras seemed to have broken its back half. It lasted a week like that before I found it dead. I have three female endlers, various boraras, Cory habrosus and snails. I can't figure it out. I've lost more fish in this tank than any other combined besides when I raised my Cory fry.

Comment

These photos are kinda graphic, so I apologize in advance. This cory died within 12 hrs of me finding it with small fuzzy spot on its belly. It was swimming around trying to eat this morning. I only noticed it because it wasn't at the bottom of the tank eating with the others. It was scavening some upper leaves. By afternoon the fuzzy spot covered one of its fins and was turning red. By evening it was floating upside down, still alive and it died within the hour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	137773Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	137774

My husband graciously went to Petsmart to purchase a uv sterilizer for me and set it up. (I've been sick all weekend). I'm kind of at a loss what to do now.

Comment

I wrapped a sponge around my UV intake so it can slow down the intake flow allowing the UV light to be expose to the water longer as it is sucked into the tube (if that makes any sense).
                        Last edited by AmazonPassion; 03-17-2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, that makes sense. I'll have to check that out and see how it's hooked up. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Furan-2... AND I have a 24watt Green Killing Machine UV Sterilizer now
                            It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                            As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Hydrogen Peroxide baths help too; but you have to net them out daily and cannot add enough peroxide to the tank without having a negative impact on the bacteria colony.

That does seem to be columnaris. Drop the temp into the low 70s, if possible. The lower the better honestly.

This disease is one where you need to prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Sorry to hear you are ill. Hope you get back on your feet soon!
                              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X