Fish TB? Spore-parasite?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish TB? Spore-parasite?

Was wondering if anyone who has kept guppies longer than me could tell me what this is?

The head gets a bend in it. They still eat and act normal. Sometimes spine curves, but fish eat and act normal (normal poop)
    Thinking it might be fish TB, as i loose a lot of fry to bent spine, but if they still eat and act normal, then how could it be TB?
    Confused.......
    Last edited by catsma_97504; 02-04-2018, 05:04 PM.

That isn't TB. What you are describing sounds more like your guppies are too inbred and are starting to see deformities. How many generations have you had with them?

The female in your video appears to be extremely skinny, but pregnant at the same time. That little dip in her head is caused by the shape of her mouth and the fact she has so little flesh on her body. These type of unwanted characteristics are what breeders cull out of their lines before it becomes a major issue.

FYI - I edited your post so the video will show in the forum. Not sure why the comment isn't showing explaining what I did.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Okay, that's what i was thinking too. My fish are not too heavily inbred, they are just pet-store fish from various stores over various amounts of time. My goal was to get plenty of diversity by buying from different stores over town at different times. What makes me think its a disease is the fact that they were not this way when i bought them......
      ​I talk to james alderson on facebook, he told me it was weak genes too.
      ​I don't colony breed. I sex juvinelles at about 3/4" and put into seperate 29g tanks of all males, and all females.

Comment

While you may not have inbred them odds are they were highly inbred before you purchased them. If you want to work with good genes buy your guppies from a breeder. You'll pay more for them, but you will start out with higher quality guppies.
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Wouldn’t that just mean they were inbred by the breeder? Even more so I think. Fish farms start out with hundreds of guppies, many breeders only start out with a couple trios.....

Comment

Responsible breeders follow protocols to ensure their lines don't become too inbred. Otherwise, they would end up putting themselves out of business. Fish farms are hit and miss.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Would you say that i should cull ANY and ALL fish that have a wierd shaped head? Not the normal direct line like an ideal female? Especially females im saying. Like their head comes to a point like that not the normal straight back and upward turned mouth?

Comment

I mean like some are pretty normal looking fish, but their mouth has a tiny tiny bit of an odd hunch shape to it..... Not even really noticable?

Comment

Those types of traits are decided by the breeder. If you don't like it start culling out all fish that carry it.

As for the bent spines, there are many causes. But the general rule, if it occurs while too young to breed, cull it. If, however, it occurs on older females after birthing several fry, then it is more environmental. And, these females shouldn't be bred any longer, but its up to you if you keep them or not. I try to give my females some breaks to help reduce the chance of this occurring.
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                  X