This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now what?

So ive been treating ick in my36g ram tank with heat for a month, malicite green as well for the last 8 days, and I still see a total of 3 ick like spots. One on my gold males forehead, one on each fin of my German female. The other 2 rams don't have spots now, and the ones they did have fell off 3 wks ago. The 3 spots left have been there for at least 2 wks with no real change.
    No spots now, never saw any, on the four glo skirt tetras.
    3 blue rasboras spotted up and died in the first 3 days of the out break
    6 diamond head tetras spotted up, 2 died with spots. The other for died one by one the 2nd and 3rd week
    9 spotted dwarf corries, never really saw spots (but their color would make it really hard to differentiate), but they've all died one by one as well over the last 3 wks.
    Tank is still 86*, but I haven't added anymore meds in 2 days (since tge last 2 cories died)

What can I do? What else could this be? Should I turn down the temp? How long should I wait to start restocking?
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Yes....month strait of 86* heat treatment, still at 86*
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Honestly I would try adding 4 teaspoons of aquarium salt already diluted... to see if that would help... did you also check your water and since you have your temp to 86 did you also add a bubbler?

~Anthony

Comment

By check water, more than usual testing? 0 0 5-10 7.0
          I run a sponge filter and a 8" bubble wand usually, as well as a hob with an inch tall dumppoint. I don't think I gave an air shortage.
          Ive followed all the suggestions I received when I started treatment, my issue is there is still spots.

Are these still likely ick parasites that haven't dropped yet? Do I wait them out?
          Can they be something else?

I don't see how salt would be more effective than the malachite green products ive already added. All the potential treatments seem to affect unattached parasites, my issue is still attached parasites. I haven't really seen any reinfection since the jnital wave, these spots just wont drop.

Comment

Well honestly I remember reading a blog that this girl was on week 12 or 13 before she actually overcame ich...

Have you dealt with ICH before? Also do you have any pics you could show?

~Anthony

Comment

Yes once before, but I was spot free in 3 days that time with just heat. Finished the two weeks and no problem.

No luck on pics. I don't know how people catch these guys on camera. They never hold still long enough, ive tried for hours now. The color and light reflection's off the gold is killing every photo with light wash, even if its not blurry.
              Video isn't defined enough to see anything (even tho its supposed to be hd)
              If I had a camera with shutter control, light filters and a real macro lenses I could get em, but this little action cam is lacking

Comment

Oh I wish I could make whatever it s your dealing with go away and I don't want to tell you its something else and shoot I can't even say its ICH.... BUT...you have dealt with it before and I get this feeling you even think it might be something else...

Ugh tough position...

~Anthony

Comment

Especially with all of the lost fish....I don't want to lose more by lowering the temp too soon if it is ick. I also am concerned they're might be something else, but all the skirts and rams seem fine.

Any ideas?

Comment

Honestly None... just don't lower the temp for now... if others have battled ICH for over 2 months... you might be in the same boat...

~Anthony

Comment

What a bummer! I have had really inaccurate (cheap) thermometers, is it possible you aren't up to 86?

I've been following along through this...so frustrating.
                      Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

Hmmm excellent thought on thermometers BUT how do you know whether or not its cheap? Example I have 6 brand types of thermometers here BUT all 6 look EXACTLY the same...

~Anthony

Comment

$2 digital...got what i paid for
                          Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

Oh LoL.... I just stick with glass...

~Anthony

Comment

How are your remaining fish handling the heat? I admit I haven't treated a ton of ich outbreaks but I try to keep it about 87 just to prevent possible dips below 86. If your fish are handling the heat well and there's copper in the water to kill free swimmers I would bump it up a couple of degrees. You may also want to check the temp right when you wake up to be sure the temps not dipping down over night.
                              __________________________________________________ _____
                              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X