This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have no clue what to make of this.

I will post some pictures as soon as possible. But I wanted to get this thread up and running to be sure I give my girl the help she needs asap. So here is the situation. Last week I started noticing that one of my female balloon mollies was staying off to herself a bit more than usual. So I started to keep a closer eye on here. And realized that she must be dropping her fry because fry started to appear in the tank. All over the place. I could tell she was struggling as she is usually such a happy go lucky type of girl.

So the fry stop appearing, however her strange behavior continued. And I started to notice this poop looking stringy stuff hanging off of the mid section of her belly. At first I thought maybe it was something stuck to her slime coat. But nope, now you can clearly see she has an opening IN her belly that she is now evidently using to poop from As I seen her doing it yesterday. It looks exactly as it should (the poop) if it were coming out of her anal vent.

I netted her and gently examined her and you know how fish smell when you disect them to look for parasites etc? She has a strong odor of that. And the spot where the hole is is very tender to the touch.

I am very concerned about her, altho she is still eager to eat, she has not been her normal self. I am AMAZED that she is even still alive. So question what is the best thing to do in this situation. I hope and pray this is NOT some type of parasite and just some freak thing that happened because of her dropping her fry?? This is where you guys all come in, as I have never dealt with or heard anything about something like this ever. It almost seems impossible IMO. If I had not seen it for myself. I am so worried that I am going to have to cull her. As I reallly do not want to. But Im affraid she is suffering.

EDIT: I added pictures to my post on the second page
    Last edited by tunastrack; 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM.
    Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are foot prints on the moon!! (anon)

Sorry she's having trouble, I'm also sorry I don't have much livebearer experience. I would start by separating her, if she's having trouble giving birth I would imagine other fish not bothering her may help and if its an illness separating her can't hurt imo.

I have no advice to give as far as the remedy for an interrupted birth but I can say Prazi-pro is pretty gentle and well handled by most fish ime. This is pure speculation but maybe the trailing mucous had something to do with the birthing process and not necessarily parasitic?
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thanks Matt . I actually just ordered to Prazipro to have as part of my medical box from my first big fish order from Kens. So should be here this week.

All other fish seem fine, and yes you can clearly tell it is a hole. As I have looked several times. As soon as my batteries charge Ill post pictures...
      Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are foot prints on the moon!! (anon)

Comment

Sorry to hear she isn't doing well

I would start out by doing like Matt said and separating her if possible. Then, do lots of water changes with prime and maybe dose with some kind of parasite meds.

Comment

People always say that "white stringy poop = parasites;" while they may be a good indicator, I don't think every case of white stringy poop necessarily is due to parasites. I'm with Matt, maybe the stringiness was just secondary to giving birth.

Comment

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I am describing. The stringy poo was not really white, but regular poo but NOT coming out of where it should be. Instead of coming out of her anal vent, it is indeed coming out of a hole in the middle part of her abdomen. A good 1/4 inch from her anal vent. The poo looks normal, just where it is coming from is NOT normal. Last I checked fish dont have anal vents mid abdomen lol...Which is why I am so perplexed and amazed she is even still alive. Dont believe me?? Ok Ill post some pictures asap. Like with in the hour. As soon as my brat goes to sleep.

Comment

As suggested, do many small water changes and feed her food soaked in garlic juice. If her condition worsens I suggest you euthanize her.

Comment

I'm prayin for the best... hope she pulls through!
                Last edited by AquaAnt; 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM.
                It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Get her into some type of tank to be watched at a minimum I realize this is stressfull but if it is a larger problem this makes it easier to start a quicker treatment without possible side effects to the other fish. Hopefully it is nothing but unfortunately sounds like something serious is possible.
                  -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                  If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                  Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I dont have anything avail right now. My QT is packed full of cories from petsmarts $1 sale. Its just not an option. Im telling ya, if its not one thing it is another with my poor fish. Could so easily give up. So discouraging. It seems almost as if if there is something, the worst thing out there for them to get...They get it...grrrr...

Comment

^^^^ Hey, I feel ya!!!
                      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Knowing that livebearers will ram into the sides of a gravid female to force her into labor or to help with complications.

I am imagining that this ramming caused a wound and ribbed her colon. If what I am imagining it true I would not expect her to survive.

At the very least she will need to be separated. Pick up a floating box or a birthing box if you don't have a QT available.

Best of luck with her!
                        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                        Socrates

Comment

Ouch, I was misunderstanding. If there is fecal matter coming from a hole that shouldn't exist on the fish I would personally euthanize.
                          __________________________________________________ _____
                          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

If you do want to keep her then very clean healthy balanced water is a must! Also the other advice given is all great as well.

I hear you on feeling like throwing in the towel sometimes. The challenge and vast amounts of available knowledge are what keep me interested in this hobby. I need things that keep me learning and guessing otherwise I get bored and move on.
                            8 GloFish
                            6 Glowlight Tetra
                            1 Dwarf Gourami
                            4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Don't give up on yourself. Sick fish or losing them is, unfortunately, part of keeping them. Every time you think you have it down pat another monkey wrench gets thrown into the works. All you can do is what you're doing, which is taking care of your fish to the best of your ability. It's all any of us can do. IMO, the good things outweigh the bad.
                              __________________________________________________ __________
                              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                              X