This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my new Betta had Columnaris

Last week (after Reba died from droopsy ) I let my daughter pick out a new Betta to go into her Mermaid Tank. (Reba was not in this tank). Well he was a dragon scale HMP with tons of spunk and seemed happy and healthy. Wasnt even fully grown yet. Yesterday morning, he was perfectly fine. But this morning, when I went to feed him. He was face down in his plants and not moving. So I scooped him up and put him in his betta cup, thinking maybe the cycle crashed or something because he had bright red on each of his sides. And I had to take my daughter to school so didnt have time to test or do a WC.

I added an IAL to his water and by the time I got back he was laying on his back barely breathing. I noticed a kind of fuzzy film all around the red spots. They seem more clear than white tho. But sadly, right after I took these pictures he died. I feel so bad for my daughter she has lost two bettas her dwarf hamster and shrimp all with in a weeks time. So frustrating!!

I tested the water when I got back and everything was perfect. ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates were around 10. I just did a good water change before he went in.

Anyway, here are the best pictures I could get of him. Please let me know what you think.
    Attached Files
    Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are foot prints on the moon!! (anon)

It almost looks like something fell on him and smooshed him or he got wedged in a very tight place. I don't know that even columnaris would cause indentations in the mid body like that.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I thought the same thing Matt. But cant think of anything in his tank that he could have gotten trapped in. But I do agree. That was my very first thought. Hmmm. I wonder if since he was so much slimer and smaller than a normal sized Betta if he got caught up behind the filter? Ugh...Always something.

EDIT: I just took a good look behind the filter. It is possible that he somehow squeezed his way behind it and got stuck. It is just a tad less wide than what he was. So do you think that is more likely the cause than Columnaris? I need to know how to proceed with cleaning his tank.
      Last edited by tunastrack; 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM.
      Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are foot prints on the moon!! (anon)

Comment

Especially when new to the tank fish like to wedge themselves into tight hiding places ime so thats a good possibility.

If you want to go through the whole sanitation I wouldn't blame you but personally I think it was physical damage given the time frame and the appearance of the injury, if it were my tank it wouldn't be high on my priority list to sanitize the tank. If there are any other fish I would watch them closely.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I definitely agree it looks like he was squished. Here's a picture of Vlad right after his injury: http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...rong-with-Vlad And they look pretty similar. His happened during a water change so I think what happened was a rock fell on him and squished him. I did daily water changes with Kordon fish protecter and it ended up healing. If that's what happened to yours it must have been a much worse injury for him to die so quickly.

Comment

Daily WC does wonders.
            Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
              Daily WC does wonders.
              They do, but they can't bring him back to life NS, the fish has passed.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss Tuna give your little girl a hug for me.

I agree it looks like he got himself into mischief unfortunately these things happen and are beyond our control RIP little man.
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Right Matt, he passed away. And quickly

Just to point out tho. I was wondering if I wasnt seeing what you guys were seeing lol. But these sides that you guys are seeing as indented. His body is intact, that is the fuzzy film floating up off of his body. Does that help any?
                  Sorry mods, I keep loosing internet connection and it is messing my posts up...grrr Anyway, here is one more picture.
                  Zumi, I forgot to look hunni..Sorry having a bad morning..I thought it could be the slime coat too. Thank you for your help!!!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tunastrack; 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM. Reason: merge postings.

Comment

I don't see them as indented, just the red mark looks like a squish mark, like the pictures in Vlad's thread. The clear stuff could have been extra slime coat production due to the irritation.

Comment

I'm so so so sorry. I missed the passing away part.

The fuzzy thing, did he have it before he passed away or after? If after, it could just be fungus growing on a dead body.
                      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

No, it was before. But seemed to get more pronouced the sicker he got..And np. I figured thats what happened

Comment

It'll be hard to tell in the end what it was. Columnaris takes so many forms; if you google pictures they all look so different. It would explain the sudden death, as one of the strains moves very quickly. But the red mark looks like an injury too, and if it was forceful enough to cause internal injuries, that could be an explanation too.

Comment

I think I am just going to take the tank apart, but not disinfect it. And make it a planted Blue Jelly Shrimp tank. Since I have some coming from featherblue tomorrow (yay). It was a touch small for a betta anyway. (4gal). So my next question is, if it was the C word, can it hurt the shrimp?

Comment

When talking about bacterial infections like the C word I think its important to note that many of these organisms are in our aquariums all the time, "wiping them out" is not how I choose to think about it. Instead, I assume all these bacteria are present and can cause problems at any time, thus, the best remedy is prevention as these bacteria tend to overtake fish in a compromised state. I try to keep clean water, low stress for the fish, and quality diet to help protect them.

In short, I think of it like this : Your tank didn't get columnaris, it had columnaris and a fish was introduced who's immune system couldn't handle it. Not that I think this case was comlumnaris but just wanted to share my view on it.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X