This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for steve

so my mother has an 8 yo half banded eel, we think. steves a solid 10", and looks very sim to the the photos online for half banded eels. Hes not in the best situation now, shes kinda stubborn on how she cares for her tank.ive given lots of suggestions, but she likes the fish she has. its a 36g, with a selection (i saw 5 of diff species)of full grown cories, 2 random loaches (dojo and a kuhli), a group of glo danios, and a few other schoolers, a buttefly fish. its nicely overstocked before you count steve.
    my brother is getting my 29g pea puffer set up (he loves them to bits and i cant say no). that tank currently has 6 kuhli loaches and 6 pea puffers. He was wondering if he could offer steve a less crowded retirement home
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Butterfly fish... As in African butterfly... *shivers* those guys are nasty... Surprised anything's alive in that tank...

I'd.say Steve would be fine in the 29g but would the puffers be in danger?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

thats my big worry. they dont seem to bother the kuhlis, so hed a be a big kuhli....steves never snacked on a fish that we know of. pretty chill guy. loves hangin in his log, uprooting plants

swims at the surface, looks like its upside down...she called it a butterfly fish. i got her to turn off her crazy strong power head that was powering a UGF....that was a challenge. poor fish lived in the fast stream for a while....but i helped her upgrade to a bubble curtain "to agitate the surface for air" (which the HOB had totally under control....but theres certain people ive learned not to argue with )
      Last edited by featherblue; 04-16-2013, 08:25 PM.
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

I have little knowledge of eels...but given Steve's size, I'm wondering if he'd like a bigger place? Also..pea puffers are notorious nippers. Steve might get bit.
        ~Erin
        10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I say test him out for a week or so... First sign of a missing fish or puffers going made remove him asap...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

its not an improvemnt on tank foot print, but its a much less crowded tank. i told her she needs a 55, steve needs move room to move around. shes not willing to upgrade, or take steve back (like she was supposed to when he got too big!)

i dont think the puffers would nip him, they havent bothered the kuhlis at all. they give them a rolling stink eye when they get buzzed, but not chasing or nipping

the watch and remove if needed is my potential plan. i figured i should check our members experiances before i threw the poor guy into a worse situation

Comment

Lol I bet Jon has owned one before or knows of.someone lol...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I saw the title and thought it was about Sean's mushroom

I think move him and monitor too I think he would appreciate a calmer environment

Off topic alert - could you post some pictures of your puffers? Oliver loves them and he is always asking about puffer tanks
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I can def post some pea puff pics for oliver, might be video tho. They don't like holding still for picturez

Any other thoughts on a potential tank change for Steve?
                  I understand why moms so stubborn about him, he really is her favorite. Hes survived 3 tank leaps at different times, and her aweful ick out break last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                    I saw the title and thought it was about Sean's mushroom

I think move him and monitor too I think he would appreciate a calmer environment

Off topic alert - could you post some pictures of your puffers? Oliver loves them and he is always asking about puffer tanks
                    Lol you wasn't the only one haha...

Yes more pictures of the puffers!!! And the freshwater Steve!
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

steve pics will be a bit, mom lives 45 min away. but ill take the camera next time i visit.

its not my fault you and my mom are into very common names!

Comment

Originally posted by featherblue View Post
                        steve pics will be a bit, mom lives 45 min away. but ill take the camera next time i visit.

its not my fault you and my mom are into very common names!
                        I Didnt name him... Sarah did
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

so sarah and my mom are on the same name page

Comment

Originally posted by featherblue View Post
                            so sarah and my mom are on the same name page
                            Pretty much haha
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Maybe he looked like a Steve too like Sean's mushroom
                              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
                              X