X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get ottos?

Hello
    As some may know my algae in the big tank is driving me nuts I was wondering if adding a school of ottos would work
    Current stocking
    Three angels
    9 cories
    5 preacox rainbows
    2 small plecs
    1 army of mystery snails of varying sizes

I'm hoping for a natural way to get rid of the algae and ottos are so cute my LFS is getting zebra ones in tomorrow
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

I'd say a school of 6-8 would be great for the tank... Just acclimate slowly
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I LOVE Otos... sadly they are VERY fragile so watch for them carefully.

I hope to get 5 more tomorrow
      Gingerone's Tanks:
      55 Gal: Harlequin Rasboras x 20 , Panda Cory x 6 , Green Cory x 3 , Oto x 2 , BN Pleco, 3 Mystery Snails, MTS and Nerite x 4
      20 Gallon X-High: FW in process of becoming a Riparium
      Future Proposed Stocking: 15 Coral Red Pencilfish (if my LFS can get them!)

Comment

I have heard of angels eating them, zebra oto's are really expensive here, that would be a pricey snack......
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I think Dena's Angels ate her otocinculus in her tank.

I have some Angels and Otos in my tank, but my Angels are still juvies.
          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
            I think Dena's Angels ate her otocinculus in her tank.

I have some Angels and Otos in my tank, but my Angels are still juvies.
            Yep. Adult angels with small otos was not a very good experience. If the otos are large enough to not fit in their mouths then the angels will leave them alone. I just can't say if the soon-to-be-adults would do the same.

What algae are you fighting?
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

Ottos as far as I have seen really only do the best against diatoms, other than that I would go after other solutions, such as nerites or amano shrimp
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3 View Post
                Ottos as far as I have seen really only do the best against diatoms, other than that I would go after other solutions, such as nerites or amano shrimp
                My otos inhaled my hair algae and my green spot algae

Also just throwing it out there but my brothers got otos and.adult angels and haven't lost any yet to the angels... (4 months and counting)
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

From what I am hearing ottos are out I really don't want my angels to start getting a taste for live food they are naughty enough with the snails

If we get a chance to go today I will see what they have and what size they are but I think I may need to take another route.

I am probably doing a snail removal today I already have may too many so nerites aren't an option at the moment and I already have two I just think they are spoiled

I'm not sure what kind of algae it is I have tried researching but have come up at a loss I know I have green spot on the back of the tank which I don't mind but the anubias are getting covered and I don't want the leaves to die

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366533747.165384.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	138196
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366533780.162461.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	138197

Here are a couple of pictures but they are pretty poor sorry

Comment

Definitely Green Spot Algae. Raise your phosphate levels to get rid of it.

What ferts are you using? Might to supplement it to increase phosphates.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Hello Dena thank you I don't dose ferts I have tetra plant complete under the sand that helps the plants grow. I have access to seachem liquid ferts are there any that you would recommend?

Comment

If you are asking about the Seachem Flourish products, you would need their Phosphate product. But, as I know you have many anubias plants that are not rooted in the substrate I would also recommend Flourish Comprehensive.

I saw you posted another thread about cloudy water. It is possible that with so many plants that your tank needs supplemental fertilization. Something to consider.
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I think my tank is having a bacterial bloom and excess snail issue but could be down to fertilisers I need to work on getting the levels right I think

Comment

Working...
                          X