This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would either of these gouramis work?

For my 29 gallon, I have decided to try and find something other than dwarf cichlids to try something different. I have come up with either chocolate gouramis or sparkling gouramis, but since I have never had gouramis I know very little about them. The sparkling gouramis are a bit more appealing to me and seem like they may be a better fit. They would be with panda cories, ember tetras, oto cats, and snails with the tank being maintained at 78F. So, would either of them work, and how would I go about stocking them (if they are capable of living in groups or pairs). If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Sparkling gouramis are pretty small. Just putting that out there. I've read that they prefer groups as do chocolate gouramis. I personally love honey gouramis. I had a male who was very peaceful and was incredibly colorful. For a 29, I'd get a pair of honeys but it may be hard to find a female. Also, one downside is that they have a similar coloration to the ember tetras.

Comment

I forgot to add that, I am trying to stick with smaller fish as best as possible, so that wouldn't be a problem. They have some really nice coloring too. So, since they like groups, are they not aggressive in normal conditions like the larger ones can be? I'll have to look into the honey gouramis too, they seem like they may be a decent fit.

Comment

Chocolate gouramis can be very difficult to feed. Just warning you on that. Golden Pearls are the best and easiest thing to feed to them. They also like blackwater tanks and lower light so they may not work.

Sparkling gouramis are a lot of fun. They are small and very flashy. They are a lot of fun and are normally kept in groups.

Other gouramis to consider are Licorice (which I can currently get my hands on ), Honey, a single Dwarf, and perhaps even Pearl Gouramis.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Ah, I will stay away from the chocolate gouramis then because of the tank setup.

Flashy would be good . It seems like a decent group would be something like 2 females to 1 male, does that sound right?

Funny you should mention those, I actually just stumbled upon the licorice gouramis while reading some. I think they may have taken the top spot over the sparkling gouramis . Well, you being able to get ahold of them currently might work well since I may be trying to get some in the next week or two.

Between the licorice and the sparkling gourami, would one be better than the other?

Comment

Honestly, I don't think either is better than the other. Licorice are just a bit rarer. Both stay about the same size. Licorice tend to be a bit more colorful in their own way. Definitely darker than Sparklers. They both like to be in groups.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Well, I am definitely torn between the two since they are both unique in their own ways, and would work well. The croaking that the sparkling gouramis can do seems pretty cool though . I guess it will come down to the cost of them.

Comment

I believe licorice gouramis also croak lol. I kept them in tanks next to each other when I had them and I swear I could hear both tanks croaking lol. I do believe licorice gouramis will be a couple dollars more expensive than sparklers because they are rarer. You could get a couple of each lol :P
                Last edited by RogueAgent94; 05-04-2013, 07:12 AM.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Haha, maybe I could work on putting together a fish symphony. I just need a bigger tank and I could have clicking loaches like Matt has, and croaking gouramis lol. Bad jokes aside, do you possibly have access to both to possibly save on shipping? I have never seen either of those at any LFS, so I don't know of their availability.

Comment

Yes, I can get both. If you have any other questions about me getting them it'd be best to PM them to me cause this thread isn't in the Seller's Corner
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Oops, sorry, duly noted . It seems it may be a good idea for me to rethink the lack of driftwood to give them another hiding place, and some territories, other than the dense plant growth only. The cories probably wouldn't hate that idea either, and everyone could benefit from the tannins .

Comment

Hehe no problem. It was my fault

Yes driftwood would be definitely appreciated. I'll get a quote on both species just in case.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Awesome, now I have a reason to go find some nice driftwood caves and cover them in moss . Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                          X