Barbs and Ponds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbs and Ponds

Hello all Most of you are familiar with my Gold Barbs who I affectionately refer to as my "Guard Barbs". If you are, you also know it is very hard trying to get new growth with them in the tank as they love tender vegetation. Last night the thought crossed my mind of moving them to my 300G pond this spring. I have 5 comets and commons that live in it year round though it does freeze up to an inch or so thick during the winter which I break up manually.

Now comes the speculation, knowing what I know about my barbs, they are very closely related to goldies and can handle, if not prefer, lower temperatures in which goldies are commonly kept at. However, I haven't read of them being in water that gets so cold it freezes. A bonus would be with all the space/cover their constant spawning may yield some fry.

I would then get a different schooler for the 65g, undecided yet. I would love to hear anyones thoughts, concerns or opinion! Thanks
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Best I can tell you is I have mine in a tank at 69 degrees and they are seemingly fine, my danios are happier than they are it appears as mine are not overly active in the tank, thou it could be due to current in the tank.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Thanks Jim I have mine at 80F and they do well, it encourages me that obviously they can deal with quite a range of temperatures quite well, its just that its one of those all or nothing things, I wouldn't just put one in to see how he does because I wouldn't know if he was just stressed, on the other hand I don't want to kill my whole school.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I personal think you never know until you try... However I am also a firm believer that if your uncomfortable with doing it then dont... From what I am reading I think it should be fine I would just worry about the goldfish think of them as food... Also depends on the size of the goldfish I guess...
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

That's kind of what I'm thinking too Sean about the trying it. The goldfish are large (9") but the barbs are a variety of gold's that I call "horse barbs" they're almost 4" long and really girthy, they wouldn't have anything to fear from the goldies, their fry would, but then again their fry would be eaten by the parents too!

As of right now I am a little uncomfortable with it but I'm leaning towards they'll be okay, I wouldn't know until 8 or 9 months from now though when it gets cold again.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I say when it warms a little do it for one summer if you don't like the results... You have an excuse for a new tank!
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I say...start another tank

Comment

I wintered most of my barbs outside but it didn't freeze at my house. Lowest we got was probably.... 38? I dunno.

I would keep them outside in the spring/summer and winter inside.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Oh no! Varying opinions I can't set up a tank for them. The coldest it gets around here is generally around 30F but its not weird for it to go to 20 a couple days of the winter. I normally break ice every morning when it freezes and it is seldom more than half an inch thick.

Maybe I could put them out there for the summer and bring them back in for winter and let any babies they have stay to see how they do. I'm scared that if I'm looking at a 65g for months with no schoolers I might break and buy something though

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
                    I'm scared that if I'm looking at a 65g for months with no schoolers I might break and buy something though
                    And that's always a bad thing, right?
                    -Jonathan

Comment

I promised my wife no more than 3 tanks and a qt setup in the house for at least one year from January! I did include a loophole though, I told her yesterday I was looking for a 75g and she said "what about the promise?!?!?" I told her it is taking the place of the 55g so technically its not exceeding our agreement

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Love it lol
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

LoL, so "technically" you are all good...
                          It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                          As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

LOL You better be careful Matt. She's probably going to blame me for this upgrade haha.
                            -Jonathan

Comment

I thought it was pretty good

Well Jon, you did get the fish for me that are going to necessitate it

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X